cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilC32
Mentor

how come I am repeatedly asked for parental PIN, despite the setting switched OFF

how come I am repeatedly asked for parental PIN, despite the setting switched OFF

I watch Now TV via a BT Box, how come I am repeatedly asked for parental PIN, despite the setting switched OFF? 

When trying to binge watch a TV series, I am asked for the PIN EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.. the setting is off, parental controls OFF .. how come these fail to work? 

It doesn't matter what time this is.. midday or midnight, same same

So enfuriating

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@PhilC32 

Yes, the general takeaway with BT TV at the moment seems to be that the new Pro Box is a bit buggy, and while it improves on the older YouView boxes in a number of ways, notably Freeview over IP, what everybody wants is that they should be able to make a recording on a box, and then watch it somewhere else in the house, and the Pro box doesn’t address this.

(The reason we have two YouView boxes and record everything on both, to cover both rooms where we might want to watch something later).

And Sky Glass is now priced comparably to BT TV, with the only issue being that you can’t really record on it, and it’s otherwise rather more advanced.

It will be very interesting to see what form the switch to EE is going to take.

Right now, I’m happy with the bare-bones Now service, and don’t need anybody else trying to build a ‘Sky Light’ on it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@PhilC32 

Take it your watching on demand content and not Live TV?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
PhilC32
Mentor

yes, I rarely watch live TV

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@PhilC32 

Is your billing for NOW paid for via BT? As you will be able to get phone support unlike with NOW. 

All I can suggest is to try unplugging the box and router for a few minutes. Which might kick things back in sync for your PIN. 

PhilC32
Mentor

yes billing is via BT, BT blame NOW app, ok thanks I will try to re-sync, but I signed up to NOW a few months back and this has been a continual problem ever since

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@PhilC32 

If I were you contact BT directly as you are billed through them for NOW.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/bt-support

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PhilC32 

Are are trying to switch off the Parental pin on your NOW online account under Settings & Pins ?

If so on the Youview box you need to do it directly from the Youview box itself and not via NOW online.

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/parental-controls-and-pin/ 

If you have done it already directly on the BT Youview box, then please ignore my post.

PhilC32
Mentor

hi, yes that parental pin on the BT Box has always been off

RoyB
Legend

@PhilC32 

BT telephone support has the great advantage that there actually is some for users of Now via BT, but it can be patchy.

For impeccable support, usually, post in the BT Community, as here:-

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/bd-p/YouView

Health warning though: the care and attention lavished by BT staffers on the issues posted there is likely to make any user of the Now Community burst into tears 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
PhilC32
Mentor

yes I tried the BT Community first, BT support seem to be a one-trick pony; whatever the question, their answer seems to be a factory reset on the BT Box.. it fixes nothing, but they get rid of the caller. The BT community is better than that, but they did firmly point the finger at the NOW app and settings not working