cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hsquared14
Mentor

Apps on You View Box

I can’t connect to any apps via my youview box.  When I select the app it starts to load then cuts out and goes back to the tv channel I was initially watching.  I have worked through all the troubleshooting instructions for both the youview box and my router but it still doesn’t connect to any apps. Anyone any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Hsquared14 

Have you got Now Broadband, but not set Broadband Buddy to 18+ or Off?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RoyB
Legend

@Hsquared14 

Have you got Now Broadband, but not set Broadband Buddy to 18+ or Off?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Hsquared14
Mentor

I have Now Broadband but have no idea what Broadband Buddy is or where to find it.  The apps were working yesterday but won’t load today

RoyB
Legend

@Hsquared14 

Go to the Help, above in the ? top right, and search for Buddy (not Broadband Buddy, as the Now Search stupidly ‘ors’ search terms, not ‘ands’ them).

Read up on it, then find it on your Broadband entry under Manage Now Account. I can’t show it to you, or link to it, as only Now Broadband users can see that page like you do.

You don’t say which YouView box you have, but an Option 2 Maintenance Mode reset may help, if it continues to be recalcitrant even after changing the Broadband Buddy settings.

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Option 2 is a mode that keeps your recordings.

Hsquared14
Mentor

Found that earlier today, already set to 18+, wasn’t keen to turn it off.  The box is a BT badged freeview box made by humax.  Tbh I think the box may be fried, contractors dug up the telephone lines last week and broadband was down for 24hrs, then we had a power surge.  After hat the box kept shutting off randomly and I had to do a factory reset, I couldn’t take the other options.  I’ve tried updating/reloading the apps but the box says it can’t connect to the server.  I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve rebooted the box!

RoyB
Legend

@Hsquared14 

Once it can’t connect after a reset, it has nowhere else to go. You can reboot it, but it just goes back to the same place.

We asked YouView if it could please just time out in this case, but this was apparently a no-no.

I fear you have an ex-box 😢

Hsquared14
Mentor

Well I have to say I thought you were right and it was an “ex box”, but I gave it one more try.  I switched it off at the wall again and then when it rebooted I ran through the factory reset process again and this time it connected and did the reset.  It was a pain going through all the apps and signing in again because I had to change the passwords but it worked.  I can now go into my apps and access programmes again.  The only one that isn’t playing is Britbox but then that has always been temperamental so I think my subscription to that will be cancelled on Monday.  Thank you for your input, Roy, it helped me check that I had done all the right things and hadn’t missed anything.  I think I must have hit lucky with the second reset!  

RoyB
Legend

@Hsquared14 

Good result!