cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Demand 5 not working

Hi,  if possible please could somebody confirm whether 'Demand 5' is down at the moment as i'm just getting a message 'Unable to contact server - please try again'

-

It's not a major issue, but I would just like to confirm it's down so i don't waste time trying to getting it working.

-

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, ignore me - it seems to be working again !

View solution in original post

206 REPLIES 206
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Strangely enough another customer had a similar issue with the pause feature on the BBC iplayer app.

Maybe try deleting the app then reinstall the app back again on the box.

If that doesn't work, maybe try a hard factory reset by pressing a pin for 30 secs in the reset hole in the back of the box.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User

If that doesn't work, maybe try a hard factory reset by pressing a pin for 30 secs in the reset hole in the back of the box.

@Anonymous User and @schnapps

That won't fix the issue.

This is a known bug with demand 5 on both the now TV box and standard Roku hardware. If this issue occurs what you need to do is press the back button once. This will bring up the dialogue asking if you want to exit the program you're playing, which will pause the program for you. When you are ready to start playing the program again. Just select cancel on the dialogue. Alternatively, you can exit the content you're playing, and start it again and the playback controls on the remote should work again but the problem will soon re-occur

Unfortunately, it's up to Channel 5 to fix this issue. Who knows, maybe they will fix it when they to my5 (the rebrand of demand five)

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6

Thanks for information, wasn't aware of a bug issue with the Demand 5 app. Smiley Embarassed

Another customer has the pause issue with the BBC iplayer is there a bug on that app has well ?

Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps  don't tell people to do a factory reset on their boxes.  It may cause a fault which causes them problems. The Now Team have advised us they are updating relevant help.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268

OK will do.

When you say the NowTV team are revising / updating their relevant help, do you mean that on the NowTV Help centre guideline articles they are amending for things such has factory hard reset etc ?

Please can you clarify a little more i am slightly confused (send me a PM if you wish).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did a factory reset using the advanced system settings menu and it made no difference, so it's not worth trying. Pause/rewind/forward buttons don't do anything other than beep in the bbc news app either & there are no other buttons you can press to achieve the same thing.

It looks like a fundamental problem in version 7.0 build 9593 rather than an app problem. The only way I could imagine this made it through testing is if there were multiple models of remote controls that send different codes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User As has been said by @4268 the current official advice is to NOT do a factory reset after recent software upgrade.

Even using Roku HDMI Streaming Stick Demand5 has a mind of it's own and some progs seem to pause using normal button whilst others don't.

Trick I've found is to use return button at top left of remote. This pauses prog to exit. One then cancels instruction to continue playing prog.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I already did the factory reset before reading this thread, but I was just pointing out that whether it's recommended or not it won't fix the problem.

Maybe it is just the apps though as I just tried vevo and that works fine.

I don't use channel 5, but pause/rewind/forward not working on BBC apps is a massive problem for me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User Not sure if it's a bug or navigation for IPlayer has changed on purpose.
The pause/forward buttons etc no longer work with I Player.

It is the OK button and arrows that now handle navigation.

So to pause it's the OK button x2 or down then OK.

To rewind press down, this brings up the in app navigation. Press down, to highlight the timer bar, then left arrow which will rewind. Or right arrow for fast forward. OK button then to start.

So rewind is down, down, left, OK. Fast forward is down, down, right, OK.

(Allow the usual few seconds between commands as IPlayer has never been ultra fast in terms of response time!)

As for Demand Five, been discussed before, it is generally very unreliable and you lose navigational control (I find) when the ads fail to load. Exiting and re-starting usually resumes functionality, sometimes only until the next ads fail to load!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed the OK button does the trick but you do have to wait for i player to react.