cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

USB/SD DISABLED NOT A HAPPY BUNNY

Heard about the new box on several internet sites and mentioning new USB features, went to Now TV yesterday and they have spec listing as follows so thought I'd upgrade my white box

USB media formats:
Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264)
Audio: AAC, MP3
Image: JPG, PNG
Remote:
Infra Red
Compatible with various universal remotes
Ports:
HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB

NOWHERE does it say that that this hardware is disabled unless you scroll through the help section which given the simplicity of set-up owning one already I saw no reason to do:

Micro SD & USB

You’re currently unable to connect the NOW TV Box to a Micro SD card, or other expandable media storage devices.

It might be subsidised pricewise expected that given it's closed channel list compared to a standard Roku but the lack of openess regarding this is pretty poor!

177 REPLIES 177
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, 

So the USB does work via USB media player app! check

Plex Side loads also! check
could not load both in so fitted a 1gb microsd card in! it formatted it fine. But still could not side load extra more than 1 app on at a time?

Is it even possible to have more than 1 at a time even with the micro sd card?

Plays media very well from usb hardisk and would remove my need for a wd live box as that plays usb but not remote plex servers! the now tv (white box) is the other way around, was hoping the new box would remove the need for both them boxs.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User sideloaded apps make the most of the developer tools, unfortunately that expects you as a developer to only need one app to test at a time before you publish in full. 

herojan
Expert
@ukbobboy I guess that would be for the lawyers to decide, not being one myself I'm just offering my thoughts on the matter. I fully understand your point of view, and as I said I think those specs as written in the manual can cause confusion.

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cannot download the usb player app from Sourceforge 

Rather cannot download any of example apps.

What could be the problem?

(Using Safari 9.02 and Chrome 47.0.25 on iMac running OSX El Capitan.)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User whilst clicking that links gives the error, I've just dowbloaded it by clicking on the usbplayer.zip on the SourceForge page you end up on. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Picked up my new Now TV Black today and can happily confirm the development menu is still available and Plex can be easily side loaded.

A shame it can't be obtained from the Roku Store, but there is plenty of info on the net.

Though people may be interested as in other posts it had been suggested that the Deb menu might not be accessible.

Cheers

Darren
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Most folk I know are getting the new box purely for plex ..... NowTV isn't getting a look in! 🙈

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Well then they're getting a bargainSmiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Yep! The plex community are queuing up for them lol 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User  even better get a reduced price white one