cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

USB/SD DISABLED NOT A HAPPY BUNNY

Heard about the new box on several internet sites and mentioning new USB features, went to Now TV yesterday and they have spec listing as follows so thought I'd upgrade my white box

USB media formats:
Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264)
Audio: AAC, MP3
Image: JPG, PNG
Remote:
Infra Red
Compatible with various universal remotes
Ports:
HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB

NOWHERE does it say that that this hardware is disabled unless you scroll through the help section which given the simplicity of set-up owning one already I saw no reason to do:

Micro SD & USB

You’re currently unable to connect the NOW TV Box to a Micro SD card, or other expandable media storage devices.

It might be subsidised pricewise expected that given it's closed channel list compared to a standard Roku but the lack of openess regarding this is pretty poor!

177 REPLIES 177
herojan
Expert

I agree that the specs are misleading and they shouldn't give the impression that the box can play videos out of the box.

But it is being sold as a NOW TV box and as such it is fully functional, it is not suppoosed to be a cheap way of getting a Roku box.

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

ukbobboy
Legend

HI Herojan

You said two things I have difficulty with:

1)  But it is being sold as a NOW TV box and as such it is fully functional.

Well, I wonder, after reading the specs, if the "Trades Descriptions Act" would agree with you.

2)  it is not supposed to be a cheap way of getting a Roku box.

I do not recall anyone saying that the new (black) Now TV box  was a cheap Roku, remember Roku actually make this new box for Sky and would not do so if it was going to directly compete with their own "full featured" models.

If people want the full features of a Roku then they should buy a Roku.

However, if a piece of equipment being sold is not as advertised (or in this case, specified) then it is breaking the law.  The fact that you are willing to accept the product is purely down to you.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy the zip file doesn't contain drivers, it contains an example app which can browse and play media off the USB stick.

Unfortunately there is only one developer slot so it's not possible to have it along with Plex. 

If I get more time I might try working further on the example app (my current version has better icons).

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Cheers for that piece of info, it's very useful to know what you can or cannot do with the new box.

As you are an experienced (nay, expert) user, do you see that these new ports, USB port and micro SD slot, will be implemented in the near future or will they just remain as ornamental fixtures?

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy the micro sd slots works as designed, as per the Roku boxes it's based from they are used for app storage (although with limited app choice it's unlikely you'll need more than the local storage). 

As for the USB I'd hope they'll allow the Roku Media Player app, not only does that support USB, but also allows you to send photos from your phone to the box. I know the German and Italian Sky Online boxes have the option to install it from the store.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Until NOW TV decide what they want to do with the 'black boxes' USB port, it might be prudent to amend/remove the following information from the devices 'tech specs': -

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital that's a fair shout, thanks. If you take a look at the page now, we've made some updates.

Cheers,

Tom

ukbobboy
Legend

Dear Forum Members

As Tom says, the new "Tech Specs" for the new Now TV box is more in-line with what is on offer.

What is now said is as follows:

Ports:
HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB (microSD and USB not currently for use – hardware for potential future functionality)

Which I believe is now acceptable.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Nice one guys 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I 'upgraded' from the white box on the basis that I could play via the USB socket. I think the words 'stable door & bolted horse' would be applicable.