cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No Dolby Digital

I know now tv/sky do not know Dolby Digital  exists, but other apps do, yet using the now tv stick neither Netflix or BBC iplayer output Dolby Digital either, is this a fault do we all need to use chromecast et al for a proper service?

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Using the NowTV Box and the Netflix App on it i get Dolby Digital Plus on my AV Receiver without subscribing to the NowTV Boost Pass.

Have you gone into your Stick menu settings and played around with the different Audio options ?

Never tested out the BBC iPlayer App to be honest for Dolby Digital, because my AV Receiver is hooked up to my projector and i don't want to waste bulb hours on my projector.

Also when you go into the Netflix App and start watching something, press the star button on the NowTV remote controller and play around with the different sound options (i believe mine is set to Volume Off).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the info.

I've done a factory reset (lot of hassle that causes) and now Netflix is OK, but still note playing a film on Youtube picture is naff and no Dolby Digital, same film via chromecast, film is HD and has Dolby Digital+

Seems you just get a substandard service from the Now TV stick for the most part. Don't understand why anyone would buy a film on the sky store, no way to watch at proper picture/sound quality!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Taking the NowTV HD Boost Pass out of the equation for NowTV content, both Netflix & YouTube looks fantastic for me on my NowTV box over Ethernet with a 38Mbps internet down speed.

What's the wifi signal reception like on your NowTV stick when you go into the stick settings under Network About ?

Also perhaps try playing around with the bandwidth settings on the stick by going into the stick secret menu (i use the max setting of 12Mbps because my internet can cope with this setting).

Changing the amount of ‘bits’ of data (the techie term is bitrate) streaming through your NOW TV Box or Smart Stick could improve your picture quality.

• Press these buttons on your remote control:

Home x5
Rewind x3
Fast Forward x2

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks,

Wifi rating is excellent.

Changing to 12Mbps (I have a constant 17Mbps connection, ADSL) does improve the YouTube picture, but still No Dolby Digital, do you get that on your YouTube?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Never checked YouTube to be honest, where i am only interested in Dolby surround sound when watching movies via NowTV (HD Boost Pass) Netflix and Amazon Prime Video when using my Roku Stick Plus in my Home Cinema Room or when i have tested my NowTV 4K Smart Box in the past.

When i fire up my projector next, i will double check if i can get Dolby Digital on both YouTube & BBC iPlayer on my AV Receiver.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK, I have a lot of films on google and strangely find the picture is better playing them on YouTube then google play (on a chromecast anyway) both services provide Dolby Digital sound.

Will wait with interest to hear of your results.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Might be a day or two before i fire up my Projector next, but will report back my findings on both YouTube & BBC iPlayer (unless somebody on the forum knows the answer already from their own experience or testing ?).

Also i found these two help articles over on the Roku website, which might be worth having a quick read on.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208756108-can-i-listen-to-movies-and-tv-shows-in-surround-sound- 

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208754498-how-to-connect-your-roku-streaming-device-to-an-a-v-receiver 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK

I realised a lot of the material on youtube that says its 5.1 isn't!! So without buying a film its hard to test, but google do have free 5.1 films, if you go to google play (not the app store) search for Downtown Project that is free and 5.1, you can then play on youutube, pick the purchased version though.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When using the BBC iPlayer App and YouTube App on the content material that i tried, i couldn't get Dolby out of my AV Receiver (only stereo without using the pseudo pro logic feature) when using my NowTV or Roku Players.

The NowTV / Roku Players played Netflix and NowTV (with the additional Boost Pass) perfectly fine in Dolby Digital Plus.

To be honest i didn't spend much time on both the BBC iPlayer or YouTube App and couldn't find anything in the Apps settings, so i would surmise it's the third party App limitations or offering is the cause of lack of Dolby Digital and not the NowTV Hardware device.

BTW - Visually YouTube, Netflix, BBC iPlayer and even NowTV with the Boost Pass looked pretty decent to me and nothing to grumble about on a 92" projector screen when using both my NowTV & Roku Player.