Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Now TV Smart Box HD Channels

If anyone's interested....

If you see 'vertically' polarised aerials on houses they're pointing towards 'local' transmitters, which a far less powerful than transmitters that offer 'horizontally' polarised signals 😉

• TV 1: LG 65UH770V | Software: v05.30.65 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • TV 2: LG 43UH668V | Software: v05.50.55 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • All TV's: NOW TV app v4.7.25 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • ISP: Virgin Media@100Mbps | WIRED NETWORK: 1Gbps | NAS: Synology DS212+ •
Highlighted
Expert 3

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

If anyone's interested....

If you see 'vertically' polarised aerials on houses they're pointing towards 'local' transmitters, which a far less powerful than transmitters that offer 'horizontally' polarised signals 😉

True - thinking back to the launch of DTT (OnDigital - remember that? Or NoDigital as I used to call it!) our aerial ended up being aligned to a "local" tx about 12 miles away, rather than one of two "main" tx's (both almost 30 miles away in opposite directions), because the signal from the "local" tx was better than from either of the more distand main tx's. And so it has stayed. Nowadays we could probably get a better signal from the distant tx's, but that would incur the cost & bother of getting somebody to do it - something that most people don't do unless the aerial falls down!

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

ITV do things a little differently. Apart from the 'national' ITV 1 HD channel they also provide several large regional ITV 1 HD channels (ie: ITV 1 Wales, ITV 1 Granada, ITV 1 London, ITV 1 Anglia, ITV 1 Meridian, ITV 1 Central West, STV HD (Scotland) and UTV HD (Ulster).

I am in the Anglia region and have been watching the local news via my Now TV Smart box (so by an aerial).  The standard-def ITV channel shows the Anglia news, but ITV HD shows Meridian.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM wrote:

I am in the Anglia region and have been watching the local news via my Now TV Smart box (so by an aerial).  The standard-def ITV channel shows the Anglia news, but ITV HD shows Meridian.

Hi Andy,

To clarify ITV1 HD Anglia East is not available via Freeview yet, only via satellite (11,097MHz | V | 23000 | 3/4). Currently the main Tacolneston, Sandy Heath and Sudbury transmitters output ITV1 HD Meridian South Smiley Sad

Looks okay on satellite though 😉

• TV 1: LG 65UH770V | Software: v05.30.65 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • TV 2: LG 43UH668V | Software: v05.50.55 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • All TV's: NOW TV app v4.7.25 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • ISP: Virgin Media@100Mbps | WIRED NETWORK: 1Gbps | NAS: Synology DS212+ •
0 Thanks
Mentor

@herojan wrote:

@glevai

The quality of the now tv channels are exactly the same as for the black box, i.e. 720p for catchup and SD otherwise.

The freeview channels are exactly as you would get on your TV as you get them through an aerial and a tuner in the smart box. So you either get SD and 1080i for HD.

Hi All,

I plan to buy a smart box and I can't find clear answer about the Freeview HD quality. I just had a chat with a support guy and he said that the video output will be 720p. Can somebody clearify it?

According its specs it can produce 1080p video output but the only video mode is 720p.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@MiklosD wrote:

I plan to buy a smart box and I can't find clear answer about the Freeview HD quality. I just had a chat with a support guy and he said that the video output will be 720p. Can somebody clearify it?

According its specs it can produce 1080p video output but the only video mode is 720p.

Hi @MiklosD,

Provided that the NOW TV 'smart' boxes 'Display Type' (HDMI video output) mode is set to 1080p, I can confirm the Freeview HD channels will be output at their native HD resolution.

Cheers 

Highlighted
Mentor

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Hi @MiklosD,

Provided that the NOW TV 'smart' boxes 'Display Type' (HDMI video output) mode is set to 1080p, I can confirm the Freeview HD channels will be output at their native HD resolution.

Cheers 

Finally I bought a smart box and I'm happy with the Freeview HD quality, it has the same detailed picture as my previously used tuner.

0 Thanks