cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV smart stick won't update

Am really sick of recent now TV products bought a new smart box which got ridiculously hot and the picture would start failing going green screen and freezing,binned that and bought a smart stick and the problems keep coming! When first turned on never makes it past the now TV start screen, turn power off and on then now TV works go to update and once update loaded just sits on the start up mimic have to kill power again to be able to get it to work but update has not been done. I have reset the stick checked connection status and bandwidth settings are on auto, any ideas before I throw this away and cancel my subscription?
12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

With regards to the smart box that you binned, was the picture freezing and going green when watching nowtv using a sports pass or watching the live  nowtv channels, where NowTV have acknowledged there is currently an issue with live streams on their service and are looking at a fix. 

The smart box also runs hot, where if you go into the secret menu my smart box runs at approx 80 deg c with the inbuilt fan running at 25% speed where i believe it has an inbuilt safely feature if the temp runs critically hot.

With regards to the smart stick are you using the supplied AC power adapter or using a USB port on your TV for power to the stick ?

Out of curisoity what is the make and model of your TV and who is your ISP ?

ken242
Expert

My on the TV stick started updating now it doesn’t I get a green background purple background pink background you name it I have it I’ve been on live chat 12 times and I don’t know nothing about this issue until they looked up their records and said there is a problem and I get the Team that are working on it I’ve had this since February time when I was watching the England New Zealand game on sky sports cricket in February and now it’s my time and we still got it thank issue which hasn’t been fixed
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi in answer to the questions, yes we are using the power adapter in a socket, ISP is Virgin fibre and is a 55" Samsung not sure model.
The smart box was getting hotter than I was happy with so I stopped using it in the hope the stick would be better but so far has caused nothing but agro have gone back to the old now TV box just to be able to watch something
ken242
Expert

I’m my go back to my smart TV boxes and see what happens still i’m my go back to my smart TV boxes and see what happens still getting multicoloured brack up on both my now TV sticks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ken242

I think you will find that the nowtv smart box is also effected with the multi colour picture freezing on the live channels.

Haven't used a sports pass in a while, but i find both the entertainment and cinema live channels on my smart box with a 40mbps download speed over Ethernet is happening to me also Smiley Sad

I recently swapped my ISP from BT to NowTV and it is happening on both ISP's in my experience.

Would try testing out my ATV to see if it's only the nowtv boxes and nowtv stick effected, but the moment i haven't got any spare device slots available on my account to test it out Smiley Mad

There is something wrong NowTV's end with their live broadcast streams where i don't have the problem when using the NowTV catch up or on demand service only live broadcasts and for me it takes about an hour of watching the same live content before the multi colour screen appears on my TV.

Anyway, hopefully you will have better luck with your smart box.

ken242
Expert

my now TV stick will not update and it’s this hotter than normal my second stick updated ok the
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ken242

Both the smart stick and smart box do run hot.

If you don't see the constant red light on the stick or the overheating message on your TV screen then i would say that your stick is running within it's temperature operating design parameters.

More info in this help article linked below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/red-light-overheating-warning

I don't own the nowtv smart stick, maybe try swapping the sticks over on your TV's to see if the stick that won't update it's self will then update when connected to the otherTV in the house (let the sticks cool down first before swapping them over on your TV's).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps
I have dug out the smart box thought I had thrown away but found it lurking in a cupboard, fired it up and went straight to the update went through fine, now on the smart stick it wouldn't do the update it would say installing switch off and back on then get stuck on the splash screen. On the smart box it was running very hot but it appears to not be hot enough to cause an issue ( not sure on that one remember the old Xbox destroying themselves due to excess heat) and the screen on live TV would freeze, go green and would have to reset the box. I have done the latest update so will have to see how it behaves. Would be more annoyed but bought the stick on a deal with a free entertainment pass which covered the cost of it. Would be nice to get it to actually work though.
ken242
Expert

No I don’t see a red light on the stick I know it’s there end with this issue I have had it since February time and they still haven’t fixed it is taking a long time to fix this problem am I try my new smart talks and see what happens but this issue is taking too long and I don’t give you any updates on Whats happening on here .