cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccotton
Observer

update require when remote isnt working

All of a sudden my remote stopped working and then on my TV, NOW TV  connects and then it says an update is required and to go to settings - system -update. My remote doesnt work so i cant do it there and cant find where to do it on nowtv.com

Please can anyone help? Thank you so much 

5 REPLIES 5
Saint1976
Elite 3

@ccotton I'm not sure if it will work but try downloading the official Roku remote control app to a mobile device. I know that app works with the Now stick and older black box but not sure if it works with the 4k smart box or Now Freeview box.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote

kebertxela

ah ha finaly a thread with a sollution that actualy worked, thanks so much that did the trick

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ccotton 

The Roku remote App does also work on the NOW 4K Smart Box and NOW Freeview Smart Box.

Though with the NOW Freeview Smart Box you either need to use the Roku Remote App and a Wake on Lan App together with each other or otherwise every time you want to start the NOW Freeview Smart Box you need to reboot the power on the box when using the Roku Remote App.

If using a NOW Smart Voice Remote have you tried unplugging the power to the NOW Smart Box and then remove the batteries, then power back up the NOW box and insert new fresh batteries.

Also to force an update see if pressing the Home button 5 times, then quickly pressing the FF button 3 times, then quickly pressing the RW button 2 times on the remote to bring up the on screen secret menu.

MCN
Scholar

@schnapps  Thanks your solution works for me.
My Issue, stick no longer registered to a remote, on boot stuck on update required, used the roku remote app, could access other apps but as soon as I select home stick goes back to update required and the remote buttons do nothing (except recent apps)
 Using your method to bring up the secret menu I was able to bypass this bug and force the update.

RoyB
Legend

@ccotton 

I just had this. Checking the batteries in the remote, I could see nothing on the phone camera test, and my voltmeter showed they were both down to 0.6 volts.

I put new batteries in, and the remote carried straight on, without even needing a re-pair.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.