cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to stop remote working new nowtv box and Roku 3 at same time?

i have the new flat NowTV box and also a Roku 3 box.

if I use the Roku 3 remote control it works as it should with no problems at all. What is wrong is when I use the NowTV remote control, it works the box but also activates the Roku 3 at the same time.

is there any way I can stop this from happening?

i want to use both because NowTV hasn't got Netflix or Amazon and my Roku does.

would really appreciate it if someone can help me with this problem

thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi SD

I can't give you a technical answer but may be something practical, I suffer from something similar ever since my Now TV white box was upgraded to OS 7.x, it started to react to another item's remote control.

Anyway, if not done already, you should position your boxes on opposite sides of your TV screen,

this will allow you to aim your Now TV remote directly at your Now TV box while aiming away from your Roku.

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Such a simple solution and might just work! Only thing is the Roku remote can operate it without 'line of site', not sure about the nowtv one though.
If it doesn't, will give it a try...many thanks 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I had this problem using the new smart box and standard nowtv black box in my Living Room setup.

The way i overcome this was to download the free Roku remote control app onto my smart phone where in the Roku app you can switch between the two devices.

One thing to bear in mind if you use the Roku remote app is that the smart box goes into a deep sleep mode when off and you will also need a Wake on Lan App (WOL) to initially start up the smart box.

The Roku remote controller app and most WOL apps are free for IOS, Android and Windows devices from their respective Apps Store.

Not familiar with the Roku 3 but just double check in the box settings if there is an option to change from IR control to control over WiFi. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a 3 switch outlet block and turn on my Roku HDMI Stick or NowTV black box as required in lounge. I use similar setup for RokuLT and NowTV Smart Box upstairs.

Remote for Roku Stick is paired as behind tv and won't control any of the other boxes. Roku app does also work with this device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Was wondering if I it the Roku on the floor behind a unit or something, it will still work but won't be affected by nowtv remote control because I think it's line of sight but Roku isn't?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Roku 3 uses same line of sight (infra red) remote as NowTV so remote will affect it if switched on.

NowTV black box is based on Roku 3 - it's only HDMI Stick that uses totally different remote and that won't work infra red boxes.

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi again SD

From my own experience, I have found that my white box remote has a narrow IR beam and will only work when in line-of-site.

That's why I suggested earlier that you separate your Now TV box from your Roku (position them opposite sides of your TV screen), as you said your Roku's remote can operate without being pointed at your Roku box and it will not affect your Now TV box.  

However, as your Now TV remote is not as powerful as the Roku's one and so can only affect your Roku box by being pointed at it.  So  when the boxes are separated this should be enough to prevent your weaker Now TV remote from causing further problems to your Roku box.

I have used a similar "separation" solution to prevent my TV's sound system's remote control from interfering with my Now TV box.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Not ideal, but you could always unplug at the power mains which box you are not using at the time.

For me the Roku remote app was be far the best solution in my Living Room setup. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update:

going with the replies I got on here, I thought I would try some of them

the one that worked for me was to move the Roku 3 box on to the floor behind a small unit under the tv, and also the new flat NowTV box on top of the same unit.

after trying both remote controls, I can use each individually without compromising each other now.

i have a lot of apps on the Roku 3 that NowTV haven't got like Netflix, Amazon etc and that's why I wanted them both to work.

many thanks for the help and as it was such a simple idea it worked and is handy to know if anyone else has same problem here. 🙂