cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Old white box worked perfect. 2 x New black boxes VERY poor picture.

hello,

my 1st post on the forums, hello.

had an original white box for about 2 years and its worked great.

my device setup is 1 x white box, 1 x xbox360, 1 x ipad....all work great.

so yesterday i replace the old white box (in living room, router upstairs) with a new small black box. 1st thing i notice is how slow it is to download the updates.

once up and running, well, think 1970's pirated VHS video quality at its worst, followed by a short spurt of perfect picture followed by very pixelated picture. faulty i suspected so got on live chat and the guy very kindly removed the box from my account so i could add another new black box which i happen to have.

guess what? identical. BBCi player etc struggles to even start playing let alone poor picture.

white box now back in living room until i can sort out the issue (and works great). white box having been factory reset had to do the updates and this took a fraction of the time the black boxes had taken.

so my own conclusion is internet connection on the black boxes, wired is not an option but wireless has worked on everything else.

are these little black boxes known for wireless issues?

any suggestions?

currently 2 unuseable black boxes - i am going to try one in the bedroom tomorrow which is nearer the router but this is for testing, not to use there. i need it to work in the living room.

thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Well AN

I too have recently replaced my failed white box with a black one but my experience has been very smooth, in fact if I had realised how smooth the transition from white box to black was going to be I would have done it sooner.  

My black box boots up faster, reacts faster and, thanks to it's dual processors, plays everything I throw at it, and it's all done wirelessly.  So you can see, as far as I am aware, there are no wireless issues with the black box.

At I guess, I would suggest you try out a wireless range extender (wi-fi booster), something like the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/NETGEAR-EX2700-100UKS-Range-Extender-Booster/B00NIUHAG6/ref=pe_2118791_160121771_dotd_8_img_4

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftKPpOZbfGo

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2teZCpFM4w

Personally, I cannot recommend a particular brand of wi-fi booster but if you check out Amazon and YouTube you will be able to find a device to meet your requirements.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i agree completely that it navigates faster and thank you for the links.

but i dont see why my old white box performs flawlessly but the 2 black boxes i have tried are struggling as per the OP.

i dont see why i should need be add a wifi extender if the white box doesn't need it. is the wireless part of the black boxes different in some way to the white?

i'll be trying the box closer to the router today so will report back.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hmmm,

tried it upstairs and it works alot better.

saw a bit of buffering when it started on one channel and then started Planet Earth 2 on BBCi player and when it showed a flock of birds all moving around the picture went crazy pixelated.

other than that it appears fine.

wireless signal strength: Excellent, but only fair downstairs, so that is the issue.

so back to my very 1st question. why does the white box run well downstairs and this doesnt? its a shame as the black box navigates realy quickly.