cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy5089
Advocate

Nowtv app on fire tv stopped streaming live sports

Hello there.

I've had now tv for years and all the sticks and boxes I've used have worked fine. I bought a fire tv and was working fine until a few days ago. The app all works apart from when I got to stream live sports. I got the sound but no picture. 

I've deleted the data I've also deleted the app and re installed. 

Any help would be good. Or I just go out and buy another stick/box. 

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Andy5089 

It's a known issue on certain Amazon Fire TV devices.

NOW Twitter have said they are aware of it and in the process of fixing it.

They didn't give any time frame.

Andy5089
Advocate

Thanks for the reply. I don't do twitter so wouldn't have found that out. I'll wait. But will probs end up buying a roku box at some point. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy5089 

Why would you purchase a Roku stick?

The Amazon fire stick and Roku sticks provide the same viewing experience with NOW.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 @Andy5089 

I’m not sure what the contrast is here. But the Roku Stick is rather more expensive than the Roku Express devices, and a couple of Roku Express 4Ks are doing perfectly well here.

The only thing is, because the Roku Express isn’t a stick, you have to decide where to put it; one of mine is floating free in my equipment cabinet, and the other is neatly slung under the bottom edge of the TV using it, with the double-sided stick tape Roku supply for this purpose.

I also greatly prefer the clean and uncluttered look of the Roku UI, unlike the Firestick one that is always promoting Prime Video content.

And if I’d just been having trouble with Now on a Fire device, I might well choose its rival in preference 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB @Andy5089 

Have to agree 100% about the annoying promotional reals that Amazon shove down your throat. That being said I tend to jump straight to the My Apps section for nicer and less cluttered page for viewing. 

Two reasons I got the Fire stick over Roku

1. Ethernet adapter, so not taking up wi-fi 
  2. VPN apps being able to be downloaded on the device, which works wonders for Paramount+ and Disney+ to unlock other regions such as Canada or Australia

Outside of these if you have either one device and the issue with NOW is fixed, I wouldn't bother swapping it out. 

To be honest, my fire stick is mainly used for my bedroom TV and travelling. Whereas my Sony YouView TV does what I need it to do. So it's maybe used once a week and not even by myself. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help