cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmlgreen
Occasional Poster

Youtube app not working for rented content

I purchased a black NowTV box the other day for our kitchen TV (we also have a white box for our TV in the lounge -it's a 5yr old vs teenager thing!!)

I rented a movie from Youtube but it isnt' working on either TV, but is working on my laptop.

All other Youtube content works fine on both TVs but rented content either has no picture and just sound or no sound and just picture (with loud crack sounds once in a while)! I only tried them one at a time after closing the app on the other one first.

I tried switching everything off and trying again but this time it doesn't even just play the picture with no sound, it says 'loading' and doesn;t get further than that.

Is this a Youtube issue? or a NowTV box issue? and how do I fix it?

0 Thanks
23 Replies
CBLW
First Poster

YouTube App: Purchased films not playing/audio only

Hello,

I bought a Now TV black box recently and for the most part it's great.

I occasionally buy films from the Google Play store, which can then usually be accessed via YouTube in the Purchased section of my profile.

When I choose a film to watch the first few seconds, maybe up to the minute mark, play fine, then the picture will disappear and a multicoloured static will emerge, the audio usually continues fine, it's just the picture that goes and is not recoverable.

I've tried multiple films, tried stopping, restarting, jumping forward & back along with restarting the box, moving the box closer to the router and nothing helps.

Note that this only happens to purchased content, normal YouTube videos play fine, as do all other apps...

Any ideas?

0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: YouTube App: Purchased films not playing/audio only

@CBLW

Wasn't even aware that you could play your Google Play purchased content via the YouTube app on the NowTV box.

Suppose you learn something new everyday on these forums.

Sorry i can't help with your problem however.

0 Thanks
Rob-T
NOW TV Team (Retired)

Hi @CBLW

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the Youtube app.

We're able to suggest a hard reset of the box using the pin hole button on the back.

However, as this is a 3rd party app, you will be best suited contacting Youtube directly.

Thanks,

Rob

NOW TV Team

0 Thanks
BicBasher
Scholar 5

I had no idea about that little quirk of the YouTube app.  I stream Google Play video using either Chromecast or the Google Play Video LG app.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | NOW TV Smart Box 4K wired connected, NVidia Shield 2017 using Chromecast Built-in, Sony Xperia E5 (Android Marshmallow), Fire Tablet (2017 edition), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using the Now TV Win 8.1/10 App.
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Rich-L
Mentor 1

Re: Youtube app not working for rented content

Hi @kmlgreen,

Apologies for the late reply.

We have no control over 3rd party apps like YouTube. 

Other than recommending you try a HARD RESET, please contact YouTube who will be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

0 Thanks
podman
Occasional Poster

I was just about to post about the same issue. I can get all my purchases on youtube apps on ee tv box but not on either nowtv box. I get picture with no sound.

Affects all rentals via google play. 

podman

0 Thanks
Benecke1980
First Poster

I'm having the exact same problem - did you figure out a way to solve it in the end?

0 Thanks
NOW TV Team Aaron-R
NOW TV Team

@Benecke1980 wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem - did you figure out a way to solve it in the end?

@Benecke1980

Hi

Welcome to the forum

Best advise would be to contact Youtube directly as this is being caused by an issue on their end

Thanks

Aaron

0 Thanks
Heardy5
Occasional Poster

Bump. Having this exact problem. Any solution for a fix? This happens on both my old white box and a new smart now tv box
0 Thanks