cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Youtube app not working for rented content

I purchased a black NowTV box the other day for our kitchen TV (we also have a white box for our TV in the lounge -it's a 5yr old vs teenager thing!!)

I rented a movie from Youtube but it isnt' working on either TV, but is working on my laptop.

All other Youtube content works fine on both TVs but rented content either has no picture and just sound or no sound and just picture (with loud crack sounds once in a while)! I only tried them one at a time after closing the app on the other one first.

I tried switching everything off and trying again but this time it doesn't even just play the picture with no sound, it says 'loading' and doesn;t get further than that.

Is this a Youtube issue? or a NowTV box issue? and how do I fix it?

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

@caseyb1993- Thanks, though I only have the original Wii which does support YouTube but not paid content 🙂

@commanda6 - I think the Smart Box only supports HD and 16:9 resolution. The great thing about the White & Black boxes is that they support 4:3 standard definition and can breath life into an older TV like mine 🙂

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Ben.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi,

@caseyb1993- Thanks, though I only have the original Wii which does support YouTube but not paid content 🙂

@commanda6 - I think the Smart Box only supports HD and 16:9 resolution. The great thing about the White & Black boxes is that they support 4:3 standard definition and can breath life into an older TV like mine 🙂

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Ben.

Hi @Anonymous User

If you're using a white box. I think I might figured out what the cause of your issue is when you play your Google play purchasing through YouTube you are screaming protected media protected media is generally 16:9 and it can't usually be displayed in 4:3. Which could explain why you're not getting a picture

The black box needs to be connected to a TV that has HDMI so that is likely to be 16:9 only. To my knowledge, it is only the white box that supports 4:3

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @commanda6,

Yes, I do have a white box. I did try yesterday switching through the various display settings - it does allow me to switch between 4:3, 16:9 and 720p. I've tried it on a HDMI to RGB adapter. I kinda thought perhaps the CPU wasn't up to de-scrambling the protected media - but then it used to work.

I'll try it on a friend's TV and see if it works on that :).

Thanks,

Ben.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

Apologies for the late reply.

We have no control over 3rd party apps like YouTube. 

Other than recommending you try a HARD RESET, please contact YouTube who will be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was just about to post about the same issue. I can get all my purchases on youtube apps on ee tv box but not on either nowtv box. I get picture with no sound.

Affects all rentals via google play. 

podman

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bump. Having this exact problem. Any solution for a fix? This happens on both my old white box and a new smart now tv box
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Hello 🙂

I asked this a while back but since NOWTV didn't make the YouTube app, I was told to contact YouTube themselves.

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi, I did get to the bottom of it and it was Youtube who I needed to answer
it - turned out that both my TVs were too old to allow the Youtube app to
function as it should. One of them made sense as it's OLD but the other is
only about 5 years but still this took it beyond then zone. I think I used
live chat with Youtube and gave them the TV serial numbers which they
checked and explained the reason for the failure.
In the end I opted for purchasing the films I wanted through Sky rental
instead.
Hope that helps.
K
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

What was the reason they gave you as to why it's not working?

Thanks,

Ben.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Both my TVs were too old to support the software