cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Youtube app not working for rented content

I purchased a black NowTV box the other day for our kitchen TV (we also have a white box for our TV in the lounge -it's a 5yr old vs teenager thing!!)

I rented a movie from Youtube but it isnt' working on either TV, but is working on my laptop.

All other Youtube content works fine on both TVs but rented content either has no picture and just sound or no sound and just picture (with loud crack sounds once in a while)! I only tried them one at a time after closing the app on the other one first.

I tried switching everything off and trying again but this time it doesn't even just play the picture with no sound, it says 'loading' and doesn;t get further than that.

Is this a Youtube issue? or a NowTV box issue? and how do I fix it?

23 REPLIES 23
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User@Anonymous User

Guys

The thing to remember is that Google, owners of YouTube and being one of the worlds leading tech companies, is always on the cutting edge of software development and as such is always very quick to ditch (leave behind) any hardware platform it considers outdated.

And IMHO, this effectively means, for ordinary consumers, any hardware tech over two years old.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Somebody somewhere must have been listening. My Now box updated a few days ago. Not only does it seem to offer a few more apps and has lots of mentions of 'Roku powered', but watching purchased content on YouTube has started working again! 

Thank you 🙂

Ben.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

amugofjava, which update did you get that allowed the movies to play again using the youtube app. I had an update about the same time but still recieve messages saying materail cannot be displayed. 

do you have a version number?

cheers,

podman

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

amugofjava, which update did you get that allowed the movies to play again using the youtube app. I had an update about the same time but still recieve messages saying materail cannot be displayed. 

do you have a version number?

cheers,

podman

Hi @Anonymous User

As far as I'm aware it has always been the case that you cannot play content that you have rented from Google play movies and TV with the YouTube app on NowTV hardware. You can however play the Google play movies and TV content that you have brought out right and most of them will play in HD. It has always been like this since I first had NowTV hardware back in 2014.

On Amazon hardware. You can't even play Google play movies and TV content that you have brought out right. Using the YouTube app Smiley Sad

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.