cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael8888
Scholar 2

Will "Comedy Central" Leave Now TV ?

Ok , I'm a pessimist and I heard that "Comedy Central" is going to join the new BBC/ITV subscription platform.

Assuming this to be true does anyone know if they will leave Now tv as an incentive for people to subscribe to the new BBC/ITV service ? If this were true its goodbye "Comedy Central" for me !

0 Thanks
28 Replies
gavs82008
Expert 3

Re: Will "Comedy Central" Leave Now TV ?

@Michael8888 

Do you happen to have a link to the source where you heard this news?

If you mean join the new subscription do you mean BritBox?

BritBox will not show Live channels (unless I am mistaken) it literally will be the UK version of Netflix. 

As Comedy Central is a Live channel as well as on catch up, I doubt it will be leaving anytime soon. 

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Champion 2

@gavs82008 

Hi Gavs

Britbox?  What's a Britbox?

Is this suppose to be a new device that rivals the current Now TV, Roku and other devices already out there?   

If so, it seems like a pre-built recipe for disaster.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Expert 3

@ukbobboy 

It is most certainly not a new device in any way. 

https://www.britbox.co.uk/

BritBox is a new subscription service for all things British. There is a similar service in the US and now launched here in the UK.

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Champion 2

@gavs82008 

Hi again Gavs

Cheers for that link, it seems to me that this Britbox streaming service is starting off with a somewhat restricted user base, i.e. Apple TV, Samsung TV, iOS and Android devices.

You know, I would've thought they've had a Roku app/channel, which is the biggest supplier of Internet streaming devices throughout the EU. 

Still, they must know what they're doing, e.g. possibly see what the market take up is before investing more in a bigger roll out and subsequent support facilities.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
Michael8888
Scholar 2

0 Thanks
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy 

I don’t think they intend it to be generally available in the EU:

8. Geoblocking

8.1. The BritBox Service uses “geo-blocking” measures to prevent you from accessing the services from outside the Territory. This is necessary for us to comply with the terms of our content licences. You agree not to attempt to access, and not to attempt to circumvent the geo-blocking measures to access, the BritBox Service from outside the Territory.

Though:-

Where can I stream BritBox?

BritBox is only available to UK residents. You can also watch BritBox if you are temporarily outside the UK but within the EU.

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’.
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
0 Thanks

@ukbobboy 

Other devices and platforms will follow although no timetable has been given. The current catalogue is only a small part of what will ultimately be available at full launch, expected to be late November or early December. They have just recently came out of their beta phase. It looks good on Apple TV 4K.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
gavs82008
Expert 3

@Michael8888 

The link more or less is stating the 'best British content available on Britbox'

So the likes of South Park etc. will be staying put. 

From my understanding of BritBox is that the channels will still get the first run and normal catch up for a period of time, then after that it will move onto BritBox.

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Champion 2

@RoyB @robert1997 

Hi Roy

Yeah, you get my point.  In order to be temporarily available in the EU it has to be available in the EU. So I'm guessing that Britbox will be running some sort of time delay Geo-Blocking, not the full-fat variety.

Hey Robert

How are you?

You've not been around for a bit, hope you're OK.

So Britbox is going to do a full launch in late November or early December, I'd be very interested to see what devices they roll out their apps on and probably try out their 30 day free trial as well.

Later guys.

UK Bob