cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aatwo
Mentor

Snyder cut aspect ratio

Hi. I purchased a month of Now TV basically to watch the Snyder cut of Justice League, but the aspect ratio appears to be set to 4:3 and so has two massive black bars at the edge of the screen.

Other Now TV content looks fine.

Labels (1)
0 Thanks
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Snyder cut aspect ratio

Hi @aatwo 

Sky & NOW are showing the aspect ratio what the Director intended (hence the black vertical bars on each side of the picture).

Here's a part copied review from the AVForums website.

Zack Snyder's Justice League comes to UK shores exclusively on Sky / Now TV, framed in open matte 1.33:1 and IMAX 1.43:1, which is yet another bold choice by Snyder but absolutely stunning in realisation. Sure, many will balk at the idea of huge black bars on the side of their TV

View solution in original post

11 Replies
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @aatwo 

Sky & NOW are showing the aspect ratio what the Director intended (hence the black vertical bars on each side of the picture).

Here's a part copied review from the AVForums website.

Zack Snyder's Justice League comes to UK shores exclusively on Sky / Now TV, framed in open matte 1.33:1 and IMAX 1.43:1, which is yet another bold choice by Snyder but absolutely stunning in realisation. Sure, many will balk at the idea of huge black bars on the side of their TV

View solution in original post

aatwo
Mentor

Oh man that's really stupid. I have a particularly small TV too making it extremely prominent. Superb.

Thanks for the info though, I really appreciate it!

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @aatwo 

Here's an internet article talking about the aspect ratio chosen by Zack Snyder for the Justice League movie.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/justice-league-aspect-ratio-why-the-snyder-cut-isnt-in-widescreen 

aatwo
Mentor

Thanks for that link, it was interesting.

On a side note, now that I finished the Snyder cut I just wanted to point out that I got used to the aspect ratio pretty much immediately and it didn't detract from the film at all.

Film was absolutely cracking.

ukbobboy
Legend

@aatwo  @schnapps 

Well  Fellas

I was shocked and stunned by the 4:3 aspect ratio, I felt something had gone wrong with the film. However, when I realised that's how "The Man" Zack created the film, I thought it was another WB/DC creative that had gone off his head, i.e. god complex.

But when I watched the full film, no breaks, I thought "This is how a film should be made", to borrow A2's words, "This was a CRACKING good film" and I sincerely hope that WB let's Zack the Main Man make the next instalment Justice League. 

And BTW, Zack's version of Justice League makes Joss Whedon's version look like a pile of cows' waste (and with only half the usefulness).

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

Fellas

This is my verdict on " Zack Snyder's Justice League"

#RestoreTheSnyderVerse

UK Bob

Cgil

Does this also cause the runtime to be longer im already well beyond the 3 hour 52 minutes and still have nearly an hour to watch

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Cgil 

Have a look at this article.

www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1411930/Zack-Snyders-Justice-League-UK-run-time-Snyder-Cut-dif...

In short the answer is due to a difference in FPS. Don’t worry we still get the exact same version in terms of film itself than the US

0 Thanks
Mike_B_
Observer

@ukbobboy 

And BTW, Zack's version of Justice League makes Joss Whedon's version look like a pile of cows' waste (and with only half the usefulness).

I would hope so, he had quite literally an entire full length films amount of time extra that could be dedicate to making the mess of a story expanded and feel less rushed. Whedons version would have been good with that, and Snyders just as bad if it had to be cut down.

0 Thanks