cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kazzaj53
Advocate

VPN access restricted

For some reason, on our PlayStation 4, the Now TV app is saying ‘VPN Access Restricted’ but from my knowledge we are not using a VPN. I don’t even think PlayStation consoles can use a VPN so this is very confusing.

Why does the app on the console think I’m using a VPN and how can I fix it? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Kazzaj53 

Have you got Now on any other device, so you can see if Now thinks all your devices are on a VPN or not?

You certainly can get a PlayStation running over a VPN, by putting the router on a VPN, even if you can’t put the PlayStation on a VPN individually. So the PlayStation needs code to detect such, and stop Now streaming if it is found.

Which explains why the PlayStation has the code, but not why it thinks you are running a VPN when you aren’t.

First steps are to power cycle your router and power cycle the PlayStation, see if these steps fix it.

Me not being familiar with the PlayStation, ideally, you should try a Factory Reset, but only if it’s easy to get back to where you were before - don't do it if you would lose your levels, or accumulated doubloons, or whatever.

If you still have the problem after all this, and trying again in the morning and it still hasn’t cleared, talk to Live Chat. You can contact Now via Live Chat from this link:-

Chat online

Avoid ‘Get Help Quickly’ on this screen. This leads to the Nowbot, an AI bot that might well assist you in navigating the Help; but as you need to talk to Live Chat, you have already gone beyond that, and all the Nowbot can bring you is frustration.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
RoyB
Legend

@Kazzaj53 

Have you got Now on any other device, so you can see if Now thinks all your devices are on a VPN or not?

You certainly can get a PlayStation running over a VPN, by putting the router on a VPN, even if you can’t put the PlayStation on a VPN individually. So the PlayStation needs code to detect such, and stop Now streaming if it is found.

Which explains why the PlayStation has the code, but not why it thinks you are running a VPN when you aren’t.

First steps are to power cycle your router and power cycle the PlayStation, see if these steps fix it.

Me not being familiar with the PlayStation, ideally, you should try a Factory Reset, but only if it’s easy to get back to where you were before - don't do it if you would lose your levels, or accumulated doubloons, or whatever.

If you still have the problem after all this, and trying again in the morning and it still hasn’t cleared, talk to Live Chat. You can contact Now via Live Chat from this link:-

Chat online

Avoid ‘Get Help Quickly’ on this screen. This leads to the Nowbot, an AI bot that might well assist you in navigating the Help; but as you need to talk to Live Chat, you have already gone beyond that, and all the Nowbot can bring you is frustration.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.