Contributor 1

Re: 5.1 Sound and 1080p

Sky's stance has had one impact I guess....I am now not so reliant on Sky Cinema for new movie offerings and Netflix UK is pretty weak, so I have bought more BRs in the last year than the previous few years out together.  Mostly to enjoy my new home cinema set up to its full potential but at least the industry is getting a decent return from me....

Helper 5

I use Lovefilm rental for a good chunk of my movie viewing. Much cheaper than buying discs and I get Blu-ray quality. I struggle to watch movies on Now TV due to the miserable picture and audio quality.
Mentor 1

@Dougsey

You know Doug, when you said, "...to enjoy my new home cinema set up to its full potential...", which is spot on, I guessing that you, like me, as a youngster wished, hoped and prayed for a "Home Cinema System" now we each have our own and can enjoy them as and when we want to.

Nowadays, I don't have to go to the cinema to watch those block busters, or even go to the video store (they no longer exist), and thanks to computer technology I can see them all in my own front room. 

Brilliant.

UK Bob

Contributor 1

What's the new film selection like?  And how likely are you to get your top picks?  My trouble is that you're not always in the mood for whatever you have been sent....

Contributor 1

@ukbobboyYep, these days I much prefer watching films at home.  Love the convenience and relative affordability - it's just a shame Nowtv doesn't do the films the justice they should.  Ah well, can't have everything...

Mentor 1

[ Edited ]

@Dougsey

Well Doug

As I'm a sci-fi fan, everything else comes a distant second, I'm pretty happy with what the selection they throw at me.

With me, if I'm not watching a film or programme then I'm then listening to music, like right now.

I cannot complain (OK, I'm a simple guy that's easy to please).

UK Bob

PS. Just seen your second reply and I agree, I prefer staying at home, in comfort.  Now that's the way to watch a block buster.

Helper 5

Dougsey wrote:

What's the new film selection like?  And how likely are you to get your top picks?  My trouble is that you're not always in the mood for whatever you have been sent....

It's a bit of a mixed bag. Some studios now delay the disc rental release for a few months after the streaming and retail bluray releases. Others are day and date. Lovefilm are always ahead of Now TV though.

You can prioritise which discs they send out next but every now and again they'll randomly send something from your low priority list. 

It's not perfect and it's so strange that such an antiquated service is still running, but it's still by far the cheapest way to see new movies, and on bluray too. Until Now TV starts streaming in HD, or 4K and with 5.1 audio then they'll always be a second rate option.

At least Netflix are picking up more movies now, and some really recent things too. Hunt For The Wilderpeople was added recently and that's the best thing I've seen in a good while. Son of Saul was added recently as well. (Best foreign language Oscar winner last year)

First Poster

I watch on a 49" Lg 4K tv and all my audio goes through my 7.1channel AV amp. The picture is ok and the sound is delivered through external stereo to all my speakers. It's not perfect, but for 9.99 it's decent. Sky aren't going to give you a deal on this when they'd rather you signed up to movies on their sky platform where you would see improvements in picture quality and sound. 

Where I feel let down is when I take out a weekly sports package for live football. I see a deterioration in picture and buffer there. But, overall, it's decent for the price imo 

Contributor 2

@Stuartg36

Stuart, homie, you're dang right in your opinings.

The thing is that, as film aficianadoes, surely Now TV ought to offer an upgraded package for those wanting and even willing to shell out a few bob more for 1080p HD and 5:1 Dolby sound, no?

Mentor 1

@Irf7 @Stuartg36 

Hi Guys

@Irf7, you said "....Now TV ought to offer an upgraded package for those wanting and even willing to shell out a few bob more for 1080p HD and 5:1 Dolby sound...".  Well, if you guys want NowTV to start a two tier system, i.e. one with extra features, facilities, etc., and the other stay as normal, then put that suggestion in the Ideas Section and see how much support from the forum membership is actually out there.

You know, I, for one, would support that idea as long as my current package remains untouched, those who want to pay extra, providing there is enough support for it, should be allowed to do so.  

However, I hope you guys realise that for NowTV to make the "two tier system" happen will require a substantial investment and as long as you guys are prepared to shoulder some of that investment, and not have it spread amongst the wider customer user base that don't want the extras, then I too would be on board.

UK Bob