cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV App unwatchable on Apple Tv

The Now TV app is really jerky and unwatchable on my new Apple TV.  All other video apps play absolutely fine on the Apple TV and the same content plays perfectly on a dedicated Now TV box, so it seems to be an issue specifally with this app running on the Apple TV. Both boxes are hard wired with a network cable, both outputting into the same TV.

Disappointing as I hoped to replace the Now TV box and just use the Apple TV as my only set top box to reduce clutter.

Bit disappointed with the Sky help/support section that either does not work or asks me to log in when I already have or directs me to the Apple website, which is disappointing for an issue that only exists with the Now TV app.  Get your act together SKY!!

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No issues on my Apple TV 4, that's with regard to juddering. The app has many bugs and usability issues, but this isn't one of them.

Juddering sounds more like a refresh issue with the TV. My TV happily plays even 24fps smoothly, some don't like it if frame rate doesn't match refresh rate. This is with the frame rate set to the default 60hz.

40meg (sync speed) sky broadband using 802.12AC wireless.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem it only occurs on the now TV app, my old apple TV was fine but my new 4th Gen 64gb device just jutters and get progressively worse episode by episode. But shutting down all apps and restarting the apple tv in settings fixes things for a day or two.

Please fix this sky! Netflix works great, but I wanted another service too, might try love film if they don't fix as it is not working. 

I've made the change to 50hzs as suggested and will feedback in a few days as I have just restarted by box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As expected the change to 50hzs made no difference, after 2days the juttering is back, looks like we have to keep restarting our boxes until sky decide to do something about this.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Can this page help you? 

If you click 'Contact us' at the bottom of it, from there you can live chat the team who will help you.

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I gave that a go, but all I get when I hit contact us is a page does not exist message Smiley Sad

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Sorry about that. Try this one.

• Scroll to the bottom and click 'I need more help'.
  • Scroll to the bottom on this one and try 'contact us'.

That just worked for me. Live chat is available 8am until midnight. 🙂

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User So post above for the different link.

Ran out of time to edit. Smiley Embarassed

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @caseyb1993 I have live chatted with sky, they have said they need to refer me to a higher tech team so I will feed back with what they say.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User No problem, hope you get sorted out soon 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV reflects Sky policy - deliver the minimum service for the maximum profit whilst portraying the best face to the customer. i.e it's everyone else's fault that your experience is poor.

All the rubbish about changing TV settings, 50/60refresh rates, HDMI connects - is total nonsense, utter garbage. Watch anything on any generation Apple TV - BBC, Netflix - even YouTube and Freeview catchup channels, maybe not perfect - but certainly watchable.

NowTV is appalling because Sky want it to be that way. Period. They have your subscription money and still attract people with the excellent content they have by delivering premium services like SkyQ. They offer that content on the sub-standard, totally unwatchable platform of NowTV because it's cheap and delivers profit for minimal investment.

NowTV user experience will always be poor because, put simply, they don't need to fix it until enough people moan/move that they then remove/add the 3 lines of code in the system that makes the system unwatchable/watchable. A patch, installed overnight that will cure all these problems. Instantly.

...and the second they do that - the flow of people to premium platforms slows. People being happy with NowTV is the worst possible place for Sky to be....just keep coughing up you subscriptions.