cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnO
Advocate

Ridiculous Price Hike - Goodbye Now Broadband, Goodbye Now TV

This is the message I received.

We wanted to remind you that your NOW Broadband contract comes to an end on 13/07/2024.
As it stands, you'll start paying £41.50 a month by 13/08/2024 instead of £22.00 from this date. This includes a discount of £8.00 a month.

So after being with Now for many years I will take my business elsewhere. I have today cancelled my broadband and signed up with BeFibre, twice the speed for only £24 per month. I also cancelled my Now TV packages as a result of their shoddy handling of my account. Just spent more than one hour on the phone to a dodgy call center in India. I was informed that they are taking the overspill of calls from angry customers as calls are normall handled in Northern Ireland.

If you are not happy with the price increase you may be able to cancel their service penalty-free, provided you do so within the usual 31 days of having received the price increase notification letter.

16 REPLIES 16
PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

You haven't been hit with a ridiculous price hike, your fixed-term discount is coming to an end. Big difference! Why anyone uses NOWTV for broadband is beyond me. Their prices and speed offerings are a joke, IMO.

LeoSayer
Advocate

@PaulNormanUK Where I live which is a pretty rural area choices are limited which is why I have used them, well that due to living in a in poor infrastructure area, not only that they are one of the few providers who don't do a credit check, so if you have poor credit due to a ###### phone contract or gym membership like me then you are basically knackered for choices! I am hoping to sign up to Befibre in the morning assuming the nice sales lady calls back with good news, I too will be cancelling this total dogshit of an excuse for internet! LOL FYI they put my price up after only 2 weeks of being activated from £23.00 to £26.00 & I get 40mbps which is FTTP pricing!  

JohnO
Advocate

@PaulNormanUK 

If only that was the case. I was going to extend the contract, I am actually still in contract until the middle of next month. To carry on the contract, the best price offer was £12 per month more than I am paying now... So the £3 increase is nonsense. That was the best possible deal they were prepared to give me. I have since contracted with Befibre for twice the speed at £24 per month. I was getting around 80mbps for £22 from Now and the line was reliable.....

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JohnO @PaulNormanUK 

Your rants are completely misplaced. Staff from support never post on here.
https://community.nowtv.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/what-is-community-for

To resolve anything contract related. You must call the team, make sure to be signed for the call centre info.
https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/renewing-my-contract

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
JohnO
Advocate

@PaulNormanUK 

@gavs82008 

Not sure how my rant is misplaced. Customer service is an absolute joke. Just take a look at Trust Pilot and you will see its not only me.. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/nowtv.com 

I did call the team and spend well over an hour on the phone, it was appalling... I never said that support post in this forum. 

RoyB
Legend

@JohnO 

Your quote in bold refers to the proposed £3/mo increase for everybody on Now Broadband. 

As your contract ends shortly, ‘penalty-free’ does not come into it.

If you had rung Now Broadband and negotiated, no doubt you could have stayed for the existing price.

Instead of which, you have gone and improved your lot. Lucky you! 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
JohnO
Advocate

@PaulNormanUK 

@gavs82008 

@RoyB 

Roy, I did call Now and have always negotiated successfully in the past. The cheapest new contract price was £12 more per month and I had to sign a 18 month contract.... What I wrote in bold was for the benefit of other users who may still be in contract and not for myself... 

chilli2
Elite 2

@JohnOIts not a price rise as such it's the end of your "discount" period, and now you are on "standard" pricing (£41.50/month) with no discount

You should be aware that most consumer ISPs have an introductory period, and some have extended offers to keep you on board and reduce "churn"

Be-Fibre are an alt-net and most alt-nets have lower prices for faster/better speeds, so if your discount period os coming to an end, and you are in an alt-net area then moving is an obvois choice.

If your landline number is imprtant to you then by cancelling Now you will loose it, my suggestion would be to move it to a Voip provider such as Andrews and arnold ( if you dont want inclusive miutes) or Voiphone ( if you do) there will be a monthly fee for a Voip ( landline number) service and by porting the number to another provider this will automatically cancel your Now Broadband wihtout you haveing to fight with some far flung Now Broadband call centre .

If you dont want to keep the landline number then cancel your Now Broadband - if i was you i would wait unttil the new service was up and running before cancelling ( if a connection is important to you) before you do, if your new provder has a phone service checkj the prices to see if you can save anything by going to a third party Voip provider

Odds on Now will charge you for 1 month , howevet you may get a partial refund for remainder of the month after the service was ceased by Now.

Tip- when you get a new router change its SSId ( wifi netowrk name) and password to match yur Olds (now?) router keep both the wifi name/password safe for both the old router (now Hub2?) and the new one  By changing the wifi network name and password on the new router to match the old one you will only need to adjust one device ( the new router) instead of countless other wifi devices

Tip2 - you can sometimes save money by signing up via a cashback site , im showing a Topcashback deal for £60- £90 depending upon the deal from be-fibre which will in turn reduce the first year cost

JohnO
Advocate

@PaulNormanUK 

@gavs82008 

@RoyB 

@chilli2 

Hi

Already moved to BeFibre from the 28th of this month a few days before Now TV contract ends. I signed up my daughter to BeFibre a few months ago so used her refferal link to get £50 back for me and the same for her.  Thanks for the tips, already transferred the landline to a voip provider so I don't lose it, even though we don't really use it 🙂