cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Annoying Sky Broadband Shield activated being NOW TV broadband customer.

I joined NOWTV Broadband this month,

and I've been finding very annoying that in few websites that I try to visit I find the following message:

Sky Broadband Shield

This site has been blocked by Sky Broadband Shield, which lets you choose the websites that can be seen in your home.

If you’d like to access this website now, you can add it to your allowed list or change your age rating on your Sky Broadband Shield settings page. Otherwise you can close this window and continue browsing other websites.

The problem here is that I am not a Sky customer, I´m only a NOW TV Broadband customer, and even I switched off the NOW TV Buddy and other parental controls, I keep getting the Sky Broadband Shield message. I can´t access sky to get it desactivated because I am not a Sky customer, and switching off the budy and other parental controls, does not seem to make any difference. I tried accessing the router and switching off parental controls from there too without luck.

Please, could you solve this problem for me?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Myself and two other family members who have the NowTV Broadband service (previously BT & TalkTalk customers) haven't come across the Sky Shield message before. 

I am assuming you are not trying to visit any of these blocked websites in this linked article below ?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/websites-blocked-under-order-of-the-high-court 

Also i am assuming you have never had Sky Broadband in the past (even a couple of years ago where i did read someone on the forum mentioned a few years back that their old Sky account with the Sky Shield software was blocking their phone calls and they resolved it by accessing the old Sky account and disabled Sky Shield).

I am also assuming it's not some sort of conflict between the internet security software on your internet devices such has PC, laptop's etc causing the blocking message.

I would normally point you towards live chat, but the live chat service is closed due to the Coronavirus crisis.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your help, 

But the answer is no, not trying to access any of that blocked sites.

Never had sky before no, 

and no, its not pc related as it happens in all My devices. 
any other idea?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Nothing sorry off the top of my head where i am guessing you have tried pressing & holding in the reset button on the back of the Router for about 10 to 15 seconds.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you only recently joined NowTV Broadband and the Sky Shield has been popping up ever since you started using NowTV ?

When you go to My Account > Orders & Appointments is the live date showing activated in green ?

When you go to My Account > Technical Checks and go through all the tests does the Broadband Plan look right ?

My IT & Network skills are non existent, but perhaps somebody on the forum who is much more knowledgeable can advise if there is any way of checking the line to confirm the incoming internet connection is not mixed up with another Sky users line at the exchange / local cabinet.

Or is the system full proof from mistakes and this is impossible and can't never happen where the phone line telephone number allocated to the customer is also linked to the customers internet connection ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its resolved now, the engeenier installing  my line had messed it up and connecting it to another customers one. Thats why was showing up Sky broadband shield instead of now tv buddy.

thanks for your help and suggestions guys! 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I had a small niggling feeling in the back of my mind it might have been something like a crossed wire mix up with another Sky customers line 😊.

You would have thought that the BT Openreach Engineer responsible for the original work would have tested the line thoroughly (obviously not the case).

Anyway glad you finally got it sorted 👍

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey, @Anonymous User 

I've got the same issue with the sky shield, how did you get this resolved? Did you contact Now Tv and they came out and resolved the line issue?

Thanks 

Ali

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi, Yes. I got it resolved calling NOW TV and after they checked the line they realised the engeneer had connected me to another customer’s line not to mine, so I was using someone elses line. I had another engeneer coming and that was fixed.