cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

charged for 5 years on a free trial-any advice

Please dont judge me or remind me that I should have checked this out sooner, but we have had a family illness that took over everything for 5 years. I have noticed that my bank statements show 8.99 and a 3.99 charge for now tv. I know I had ordered a kids pass, but just assusmed that the 8.99 is a basic service charge. A friend corrected me and said that it was acutally an entertainment pass. Looking at my account I could only see a kids pass and tried to watch a programe on the entertainment pass, but wasnt able to. contacted now tv and they said that the 8.99 relates to a second account (sky) and it was a free 3 month trial which in their words, "that the cancellation didn’t go through successfully" hence why i have been charged 7.99/8.99 since 2015. I couldnt watch the entertainment pass because it was on my sky account and the kids was on my normal now tv account which is what we always signed into. They are offerring a refund of 4x 8.99. Looking at their FAQ's around free trials and being charged after the trial ends, it states that you only get one free trial per Pass. So if you’ve previously signed up for a free trial for the same Pass, using the same payment card, you might be charged for the Pass instead. I only had one free trial. Should I still have been charged? Is there anything else I can do about this or am I in the wrong. Sorry for the extra long post. Im mad that I could have been watching the entertaiment pass for the past  5 years!

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You have slightly misread that text about the free trial, or maybe you missed the information that an uncancelled free trial turns into a paid subscription.

So you had an entertainment pass on a different NowTV account from the Kid’s Pass, it wasn’t cancelled within the three months, and so after that NowTV started charging you.

Personally, I would email customerservices @ nowtv.com (without the spaces in) about that “cancellation didn’t go through”. This, rather than “it was never cancelled”, implies that NowTV detected the attempted but failed Cancel (which may even have been their fault, not yours), but did nothing about it for years, even though at any time they could have checked the account, seen it hadn’t been used, and realised that this was a failed Cancel, and not one where you had started a Cancel, but changed your mind.

In the circumstances, I think NowTV owe you the lot back, not just a few months.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy 

I know that’s your hobby horse, ukbobboy, but can we restrict it to cases where this might have happened, absent investigation showing to the contrary, rather then bring it up in cases where it clearly does not apply?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.