cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kazza

Why does now tv make it so bloody difficult to sort anything out ????????

I started a seven day trial , cancelled the next day , then now charged me for a boost and a minimum 6 month contract , what is going here ???????

6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@Kazza 

The only 7 day membership trial currently available is for Hayu.

It sounds like you instead took a 6-month minimum subscription to Cinema or Entertainment, and likewise took the offer of a Boost trial, which also runs for 7 days, and then got charged for that too 😢

Did the page look misleading, in that you thought the 7-day trial was for the whole thing, not just Boost? Perhaps you could reference the offending page, so we can see it also.

In the meantime, get onto Live Chat, explain, and beg for a refund:-

You can contact Now via Live Chat from this link:-

Chat online

Avoid ‘Get Help Quickly’ on this screen. This leads to the Nowbot, an AI bot that might well assist you in navigating the Help; but as you need to talk to Live Chat, you have already gone beyond that, and all the Nowbot can bring you is frustration.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Kazza 

I think this is what you saw:-

IMG_1042.jpeg

So the six-month minimum term Entertainment offer (programmes on the Sky TV channels, live and catchup) also comes with 7-day free trials of Cinema and Boost (so I was wrong about only Hayu being on a free 7-day trial).

Which means that whatever, you are on the hook for 6 month’s Entertainment - and if you don’t cancel Cinema and Boost inside the 7 days, you are on the hook for at least a month of each of these, and stay on the hook if you still don’t cancel, but only month to month.

I had to stare at the offer for a few minutes to see why it wasn’t a 7-day free trial leading up to a six-month commitment to Entertainment only if you didn’t cancel, and then I finally noticed what it was actually saying - commitment to Entertainment, trial of Cinema.

No wonder people are being caught out by this 😢

If you take issue with Now over this, though, using Live Chat as described above, then they will probably refund you.

And what might help is referring to the paragraph that says ‘Unmissable TV shows plus the biggest blockbusters’, as I think this has been copied from the  Cinema plus Entertainment offer, where you do get the biggest blockbusters, and for the whole duration of the offer, but you don’t get them on the Entertainment offer, which should only refer to TV.

I don’t think that Now would want to argue that this is a valid claim because you get the 7-day Cinema trial. Would they? 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

I had to stare at the offer for a few minutes to see why it wasn’t a 7-day free trial leading up to a six-month commitment to Entertainment only if you didn’t cancel, and then I finally noticed what it was actually saying - commitment to Entertainment, trial of Cinema.

No wonder people are being caught out by this 😢

It doesn't actually say that

Both "Cinema & Entertainment" and "Entertainment only" have a 6 month minimum term. It is only the trials of "boost" or "boost and cinema" that are for 7 days.

So if you sign up to either of those offers, you are committing to a 6 month term.

Perhaps the fact I've used Now streaming in the past, helps to understand it, they have always been tricky with their offers,

Jayach
Elite 3

Although as @Kazza bought the membership on-line, they should be covered by the Distance Selling Regulations - Which? so they have a right to cancel within 14 days.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach @Kazza 

I know it doesn’t say that. My point was just how hard and long you have to look at it to see that it doesn’t say that 😢

And as regards the Distance Selling Regulations you linked to, the page you reference notes that they stopped applying to new purchases in June 2014, and @Kazza ‘s purchase is subsequent to this date.

What applies now is the Consumer Contracts Regulations:-

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations-ajWHC8m21cAk

But note the effect of the 14-day rule, which allows for a pro-rata charge for any services provided up to the date of that cancellation. Still better than a six-month lock-in, though 😛

Abd new users shouldn’t have to negotiate tricky offers, 7 day free trials should be just that, with no continuation unless you explicitly sign up during that period. Malwarebytes can do it - why can’t Now?

Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach @Kazza 

I know it doesn’t say that. My point was just how hard and long you have to look at it to see that it doesn’t say that 😢

And as regards the Distance Selling Regulations you linked to, the page you reference notes that they stopped applying to new purchases in June 2014, and @Kazza ‘s purchase is subsequent to this date.

What applies now is the Consumer Contracts Regulations:-

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations-ajWHC8m21cAk

Oops, should read the pages I link to more carefully, still the concept is still true. 🤔