cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ofcom should ban Automatic Renewals

Now TV you sneaky thieves,

I've only just noticed, after several months of you taking over £30 a month off me that you have  automatic renewal as a default. 

You can read the small print to me all you want but the truth is automatic renewals are clearly designed to passively steal money from people who might not be particularly attentive or are too busy to keep an eye on such things. I hate you for this and I'm reporting your practices to Ofcom.

I work in the broadcast tv industry and will be talking about your scumbag practices to my colleagues. You low-life money grubbing losers.

What really irks me is that you design this system knowing that you will benefit from people who forget to switch off the renewal. It's so cynical.

I want a complete refund on the months other than my first month of use. You might want to consider that you sent me no correspondence or invoices for each of the subsequent months.

Mark.

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Below is a link to one of Ofcom’s latest projects. It seems the days of renewals without accompanying communication is on their radar:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/117163/Consultation-end-of-contract-notificatio...

Geluk
Expert 2

No need to post 3 times on same subject.

RoyB
Legend

2018, and it would be difficult to send out out-of-contract notices when you are not in-contract in the first place,

You are clutching at straws, where what is needed is attention to detail.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
starman73
Elite

@Anonymous User what has the link got to do with Now TV?

From the summary...

Many landline, broadband, mobile and pay TV deals in the market today are offered on contracts with a minimum term of 12, 18 or 24 months. Customers cannot leave until the end of this term, unless they pay an early termination charge.

Now TV is primarily month by month.  Like Netflix or Gym subscriptions, if you don’t cancel, you keep paying.  Get a Revolut/Starling/Monzo account and pay with those cards for recurring payments. You always get notified.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The point I was making with the link is that Ofcom do deal with such things, which had been disputed by another member.

Despite the inexplicable vigour in defending NowTV, no one has yet answered this question for me:  why do you think NowTV don’t send out monthly receipts?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Because they DONT!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Roy,

im going to duck out of this thread now. Thanks for making me think about the other side of the argument. Your calm logic is refreshing. If everyone was a bit more like you the internet would be a better place. 
I take your point about paying attention to detail.

I think I’m the kind of person who will always, at some point, forget a subscription or renewal etc. I’m pretty chaotic and forgetful. I can try to improve that but I’ll admit at some point I’ll slip up. 
All things considered I think that someone like me should just avoid rolling contracts like this.  I’m going to just enjoy what I can watch on free view from now on.

Many thanks, Mark.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Thank you very much for the handsome compliments. I’m really touched 😊

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User  @starman73 

Well Guys

I'm pretty chaotic and forgetful too, I can't even use a book-type diary coz' I'd forget to use it (yes, I would and I have). 

So peeps, since my computer is on every day, I use my electronic diary, and that's because it's up in my face all day (yeah, that's the way I do it).

Bouncing Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Roy and Mark..

Mark and Roy..

Or just the same person having a conversation with themself... Perhaps?

Yes I think so.

Rark Moy make a good couple... 

Once again - Bravo!