cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV abusing customers?

Last week I discovered that NowTV had not taken any payment for services for 8 months. I had set up broadband and phone in good faith and not checked my account or bank account. My services ran OK and I had no reason to suspect anything. However I got to check my account last week and found that I have paid nothing and owe nothing. 

I rang up and was initially told not to worry about paying my arrears, but then told I might be in breach of contract!!!. The blame was also put on me for not supervising them closely enough! I want to pay but my circumstances (I have the criteria and am now accepted at the local food bank). I only have phone and internet which are now essential. I was put in contact with "Molly" who would not give me any assurances about affordable payments but told me that that the reasons for their error had to be ascertained first. Although I am deeply worried about paying an unexpected debt, NowTV makes me wait whilst they find out how THEY made an error. Molly could not get an answer from the appropriate "team" but told me she would have an answer and would let me know the following Tuesday.

She rang yesterday but she still had heard nothing from the team. She tried to contact them again but after an hour threw in the towel and simply told me that NowTV would get back to me. I learned the following from her in that hour.

1. NowTV have appalling customer service.

2. NowTV will not offer reassurances about making affordable payments even if the error is theirs.

3. NowTV  appear to have no policies regarding customer welfare and mental health issues. Molly thought they had but could not find anything regarding vulnerable customers. What about "Duty of Care"?

4. You CANNOT speak to a supervisor! That's right! It's actually policy!

5. NowTV record conversations but will not allow customers access to that record. What about the Data Protection Act?

6. It is not possible to contact your agent directly by phone. If they drop the dialogue you are back to square one with another agent.

I asked Molly to email me with a précis of our conversation which she promised but I have heard nothing so far, just an automatic email telling me the case is closed, and another telling me that NowTV will "be in touch". So they leave me to hang. Again. Not only is this incompetent, it is cruel. I would go further and say NowTV is abusive

Whilst I have mental health issues, I speak English, am reasonably articulate and do not have a condition such as dementia

Ironically, NowTV have two additional customers because of  recommendations I made before they messed up. Well, messed up up AGAIN because the connection process was messed up and I was supposedly credited compensation!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, but only in one thread.

Paradoxically, perhaps, posting in two separate threads halves, not doubles, the effectiveness of what you have to say.

But you do illustrate the importance of checking your bank and credit card statements every month, not just for what might have gone out unexpectedly, but also for what hasn’t gone out unexpectedly, leaving you with more money than you thought you had to spend, but a potential shock later on.

I hope for your sake that Now will take this on board, and will collect the arrears over an extended period, and not try to claw it back all at once.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You already have a existing thread for your issue. 

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-Billing/Nothing-debited-since-June/m-p/578044#M18570

Whilst I get your utter frustration, there is absolutely nothing we can do on here as we are just customers like yourself. 

If you don't want to call the broadband team, you can send an email to support. See picture below for email address.

Now TV customer service.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks, If you have read my post properly you will see that I have actually done my utmost to communicate with these people! Can I pop round to their office for a chat? Of course not! I CAN"T do anything more with a company like this! I can't even speak to supervisor! I know we are just fellow customers with limited powers. This is why I bothered to post- for the advantage of other customers. If you are abused you should speak out, right?
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, but only in one thread.

Paradoxically, perhaps, posting in two separate threads halves, not doubles, the effectiveness of what you have to say.

But you do illustrate the importance of checking your bank and credit card statements every month, not just for what might have gone out unexpectedly, but also for what hasn’t gone out unexpectedly, leaving you with more money than you thought you had to spend, but a potential shock later on.

I hope for your sake that Now will take this on board, and will collect the arrears over an extended period, and not try to claw it back all at once.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I don't know how to use forums! I promised NowTV I would update so here it is. CAB told me the dismal news that I could be in breach of contract even though I acted in good faith and that NTV could claw back the full amount in one go. I decided to have another attempt contacting them instead of waiting the indefinite time as instructed. It was like speaking to an entirely different company. After a quick chat with the billing team, "Steve" Sorted everything out in my favour in minutes.

It looks like "Molly" had not received adequate training and for whatever reason could not open a dialogue with the billing team. I am not sure if the inability to speak to a supervisor is actual NTV policy or one of Molly's errors, but I do know that she needs to understand the Data Protection Act and have NTV's customer welfare policy to hand. Fortunately, she had made accurate notes which were helpful in speeding things along!