cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am made to pay for passes I never ordered!

Hi,

I received an email yesterday morning telling me that i have ordered a Sky Sports Day Pass and a NOW TV Boost, totalling £12.99 (I guess and ongoing monthly charge), but I have never ordered these.

I van see them in my accounts details, and have managed to cancel them, byt the looks of it.

This is the second time this happened and I find it incredible that this should happen at all? Does Now TV employ some staff to secretly subscribe members hoping that at least a percentage of them does not pick up on these and won't complain? Far fetched and hopefully not true, but certainly looks like it - who else might have 'ordered' these services in my name on my account?

I want my money back as soon as possible on this matter and a confirmation that this will not happen again from Now TV.

Has this happened to anyone on here as well? How was it resolved?

Many thaks,

NikCr

PS: I have screenshots also, how do I add them here.

21 REPLIES 21
SweetBlitz
Expert 3

I am a customer and what I wrote is true not just for Now TV, but any company.  You don’t know who made that order. Now TV don’t know who made that order.  All it takes is for you to be logged in anywhere on any device and with no PIN and the credit card details on there for someone to click the button. Maybe they don’t gain from it, but it is easily done. 

it is up to you to make your accounts as secure as possible. Add a PIN and use a pre-paid card.

I am pretty certain that a Now TV employee wouldn’t be advising customers to use pre-paid cards.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@SweetBlitz @Anonymous User @gavs82008 there is some conjecture on another thread recently where NowTV are adding a free trial to dormant accounts by way of 'hey here's a freebie on us' and it's then activating the continuous payment authority.

It's not something anyone will be able to prove but like you say, use a card with a low balance and it will never happen.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-Billing/Account-reactivated-without-my-permission/td-p/522830

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

@Saint1976 I have had a free month put on by Now TV when I let my subscription lapse, but they did state I would not get charged beyond that. Even so, I cancelled immediately.

The best advice I can give is ALWAYS  use a pre-paid card like Revolut/Monzo/Starling for ANY online transaction. Otherwise you are giving companies access to your entire credit limit or balance + overdraft.  There is no limit on a continuous payment authorization.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Spoiler
This has happened to me today - NOW TV have emailed me to say I have ordered a month Cinema Pass yesterday - which I did not, I hate the Sky Cinema concept. Just wondering if all this has kicked off as a coincidence to Now TV announcing that they were doing some major work on their system yesterday.  Thank you to all who have mentioned this addition of a PIN - something I did not know about. 
Andy99
Advocate

Exactly happened to me Saturday

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy99 

Did you put a payment PIN as mentioned in posts earlier?

The incorrect charge form is another way of getting in touch for a “refund”. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Andy99
Advocate
Yes I have a pin set up, also I don't recognise the device used..

Will try the form as suggested

Get Outlook for Android<>
RoyB
Legend

@Andy99 

Sorry, it’s not clear; did you have a Payment PIN set up before Saturday, or are you saying you have set one up since, to prevent a recurrence?

And can you give the details shown under My Account, for the device you don’t recognise?

We can perhaps get you a better idea of how your security might have been breached, from those details,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Andy99
Advocate

Hi RoyB,

I set the pin up afterwards to prevent reoccurance

Andy99
Advocate

The Device was just listed as a PC on my account but when I was on a live chat with Now TV they advised me it was a Windows 10 PC using Safari