cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JS007
Observer

Charged for phone calls I didn't make

I noticed that in August I have been charged for 5 phone calls I didn't make - two calls to a local number and three calls to a number in Barbados. The thing is, I don't have a phone connected to my landline, I've not had one for years now, and I am physically unable to make phone calls for this reason. I also don't recognise the numbers listed on the bill and there is nobody else living at my address who could have made a call from the landline if it was physically possible (but it isn't).

Raised this with customer service this morning and it took the agent some time to understand that the landline is activated because it's needed for broadband but never used for making calls. They said they will escalate this with the network team. When I asked if I can have outgoing calls blocked from the landline (or at least international calls), I was told this is not possible. I am now absolutely petrified that I will end up with a huge bill for phone calls I have not made. I also don't understand how it is possible to be charged for phone calls physically not made from the landline. 

Has anyone had this issue before or recently? Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7
RoyB
Legend

@JS007 

It is rare, but not unknown. Now will abolish the charges, and/or refund you.

Customers really ought to be able to tell Now that they don't want phone call capability on their broadband landline, either incoming or outgoing.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
-JoJo-
Advocate

Thank  you Roy, really helpful. I have just seen my bill having it debit my account at and there is a £15 charge for 2x Calls to BT - however same situation, we do not even own a physical handset!

HelpMe1234
Advocate

@JS007 I'm currently on hold trying to sort this exact same problem. We don't have a a physical phone connected and have £25-30 extra being charged to us a month since we moved in 2 months ago. I would definitely advise against joining NowTV

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@HelpMe1234 @JS007 @-JoJo- 

It could happen for any provider that offers FTTC connections as they must have a landline installed. Whereas FTTP doesn’t need it and could be rid of.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@HelpMe1234 

Now Broadband sometimes get their wires crossed, Literally 😛

But as ever, I don’t think you can extrapolate to the whole of Now Broadband not being fit for purpose, for anybody.

Good luck with resolving your issue though. Please let us know how it turns out!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
HelpMe1234
Advocate

Hi!

Wasted so much time on this.

An engineer came to check the lines and agreed that we couldn't possibly be making the calls.

But now NowTV are saying that they can only refund me for the month of March and April. They wont refund me for the month of February. It was agreed I would get a full refund when I spoke with them weeks ago to try sort this

Apologies for the tone of my note- I am slightly annoyed

RoyB
Legend

@HelpMe1234 

Call them again. Explain that if there is any basis for a partial refund, then it is the same basis for a full refund. Mention ‘court claim’, what used to be called the Small Claims Court. Now may prefer CIFAS, but if they are sensible, they will make full reparation without further argument if the matter is explained sufficiently clearly to somebody sufficiently senior in Now.

Keep at them.