cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrsMac
Observer

Broadband Membership Options email

An email has come in saying my broadband membership is now out of contract and asking me to choose between the two options:

Do nothing, continue to pay £22.99 a month, no contract, keeps rolling, includes discounts of £17.01 a month. First discount will expire 24/01/2024.

OR

Pay £31 a month, 12 month contract, includes discount of This includes a discount of £9.00 a month. Discount will expire 12 months from the date you redeem.

I can't see what the catch is here and why I'd choose to pay £8/month more. Is it because with no contract NOW can increase the price at any point and without warning? Or is it something to do with the fact that for option 1, the "first" discount will expire on 24/1 (when do the others expire?).

I know there is something I'm not picking up on here, but not sure what, or what option I should go for. Any help out there?

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@MrsMac 

Do you have any phone numbers on that email? As I would do neither and call the team, surely something better out there for you. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
MrsMac
Observer

Yes, there is a phone number. I guess I just want to be as forearmed as possible before I call them so that I know what I'm talking about and in a better position to negotiate. That price includes Fab Fibre and Anytime Calls, btw.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@MrsMac 

Not being a customer for broadband with NOW all I would say is this is what new customers are being presented with for deals. 

https://www.nowtv.com/broadband

So the big question is, do you need the anytime calls or can you get away without it and use mobiles only for making calls?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@MrsMac 

I think you have a handle on it. It’s that ‘first discount’, as you suspected.

Your next payment will be £22.99, and the one after that will be increased by an unspecified amount, which we happen to know is £8.01 - the ‘first discount’ which expires 24/01/24, leaving only the ‘second discount’ which we know is £9.00. Together, those two are the £17.01

And lo and behold, £22.99 + £8.01 is (tada!) £31.00

So, one seriously misleading email, though Now are staying one millimetre inside the line of actual deception.

I don’t know why Now pull this stunt. Me, I’d be ashamed to 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.