cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV on Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit, hardly works - app errors out roughly every 20 minutes

Hi everyone,

I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro as a 64 bit installation. When I try to watch NOW TV in Internet Explorer or Firefox, it doesn't load the episodes into the player, but instead tells me there was a problem and I should try again later, right after it tries to obtain a license: "There's an error connecting, please try again in a few moments. Service updates can be found on our community."

Support told me I need to use the Windows app. It was a bit difficult getting that installed, as I have Windows set to a region that's not the UK (so the Windows store wouldn't show it), but after figuring out what the problem was, I succeeded in installing it.

Now, when I watch an episode in the app, it throws up an error message about three times in 45 minutes, telling me there was a problem. I then have to go back to the main menu, click through to the episode I was watching, and the app will resume right where it left off. Needless to say it doesn't make for a great viewing experience.

Any idea why the app "passes out" every 20 to 30 minutes on 64 bit?

Is there a way to watch on a Kindle Fire or Windows Phone 8.1? Or is NOW TV just not 64 bit compatible?

(Truth be told, I had no issues watching whilst I had Windows 10 64 bit on my box, but as that doesn't support my laptop's GPU properly, I had a lot of other issues, and had to roll back to Windows 8.1 eventually...)

Regards,

Christian

4 REPLIES 4
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro as a 64 bit installation. When I try to watch NOW TV in Internet Explorer or Firefox, it doesn't load the episodes into the player, but instead tells me there was a problem and I should try again later, right after it tries to obtain a license: "There's an error connecting, please try again in a few moments. Service updates can be found on our community."

Support told me I need to use the Windows app. It was a bit difficult getting that installed, as I have Windows set to a region that's not the UK (so the Windows store wouldn't show it), but after figuring out what the problem was, I succeeded in installing it.

Now, when I watch an episode in the app, it throws up an error message about three times in 45 minutes, telling me there was a problem. I then have to go back to the main menu, click through to the episode I was watching, and the app will resume right where it left off. Needless to say it doesn't make for a great viewing experience.

Any idea why the app "passes out" every 20 to 30 minutes on 64 bit?

Is there a way to watch on a Kindle Fire or Windows Phone 8.1? Or is NOW TV just not 64 bit compatible?

(Truth be told, I had no issues watching whilst I had Windows 10 64 bit on my box, but as that doesn't support my laptop's GPU properly, I had a lot of other issues, and had to roll back to Windows 8.1 eventually...)

Regards,

Christian

Hi @Anonymous User

As you're using Windows 8.1. It is recommended that you don't playback now TV content using a web browser Silverlight support is flaky in Windows 8.1 at best. You should really be using the Windows app all the time. So now TV support were correct in telling you to use the app. Silverlight isn't officially supported on Windows 10. So should you decide to go back to Windows 10. Keep that in mind.

As for the problems for problems you're having with the Windows app I've never seen these problems before myself and I used to use the Windows app a lot. I haven't seen these kind of problems reported on the forum before either . Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? What I can tell you is that the app should work absolutely fine and the 64-bit version of Windows.

Are you having the issue with one particular piece of content or is it all content you try to play in the app?

Are you able to post a picture of the error message or say exactly what the error is so that nowTV staff can look into it.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6

Something about @livesinlondon's post grabbed my by the proverbials, he wrote the following,  "...as I have Windows set to a region that's not the UK...". As you know, Now TV is a UK only service so, as his windows set-up is non UK should he really expect Now TV to work?

Plus , any regional protection built into the Now TV app would (or should) be triggered by his windows installation, since Microsoft are particular hot on built-in  auto-protection for copyright holders.

I guess what I am saying is that @Anonymous User is taking a gamble that any "UK only" service will work on his non-UK set-up.

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@commanda6

@Anonymous User about @Anonymous User's post grabbed my by the proverbials, he wrote the following,  "...as I have Windows set to a region that's not the UK...". As you know, Now TV is a UK only service so, as his windows set-up is non UK should he really expect Now TV to work?

Plus , any regional protection built into the Now TV app would (or should) be triggered by his windows installation, since Microsoft are particular hot on built-in  auto-protection for copyright holders.

I guess what I am saying is that @Anonymous User is taking a gamble that any "UK only" service will work on his non-UK set-up.

UK Bob

Hi @ukbobboy

Ordinarily, I'd have said the same thing that if you look at @ukbobboy post specifically this bit. "Support told me I need to use the Windows app. It was a bit difficult getting that installed, as I have Windows set to a region that's not the UK (so the Windows store wouldn't show it), but after figuring out what the problem was, I succeeded in installing it."

The settings you refer to (language/localisation settings)  had already been changed in order to get the app to install and run the app would not work had the settings not already been changed . The app is working. If only for a short period, so there is something else at play here. 

Windows has been known to automatically set the language/localisation settings to English US instead of English UK and from the sounds of it. That's what might have happened here  Initially because the English version of Windows will usually contain language/localisation sets for multiple variants of English. Usually both English UK and English US.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6

I get what you are saying but as I am an avid practitioner of the "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle, especially dealing with all things IT, I shall wish @Anonymous User well in his search for a solution. 

And may luck be with you as well with the aid you are providing.

UK Bob