cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Best device to watch sports?

Hi there, 

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about what the best device is to watch now tv sports on? I watch quite frequently but even on my computer I get some buffering from time to time even with fibre internet. 

Would one of the now tv boxes be the way to go or maybe ps4 etc? 

Appreciate any replies. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi there, 

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about what the best device is to watch now tv sports on? I watch quite frequently but even on my computer I get some buffering from time to time even with fibre internet. 

Appreciate any replies. 

Hi @Anonymous User

For watching sports. Your best bet is a device that supports 50 Hz output. The devices below support 50 Hz output: unfortunately, I don't believe PlayStation supports 50 Hz output. NowTV's content is 50 Hz. So if the device you're using outputs at 60 Hz. The content has to be converted. This can resultt in the picture Being jumpy/Fuzzy

⦁    Now TV box/smart box
⦁    Xbox one (change video output settings to allow 50 Hz output)
⦁    EE TV box
⦁    Samsung smart TV (2015/16 models)
⦁    LG smart TV (2013 onwards)
⦁    Apple TV (change video output settings to allow 50 Hz output)
⦁    chromecast ((change video output settings to allow 50 Hz output)

your best bet would be to get a now TV box and connect it to your TV. Do bear in mind though that you will need a TV that supports HDMI.

http://www.nowtv.com/best-tv-boxes

With regard to the buffering you're experiencing who is your ISP? Depending on who your ISP is there may be something specific you can do which could help.

I would say where it is reasonably possible to do so always use ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. If you have to use Wi-Fi try to put your router on a separate Wi-Fi channel to neighbouring routers to help reduce interference and if the device you're using is a reasonable distance away from you router put the device onto 2.4 gig Wi-Fi rather than five gig as 2.4 gig has better performance over longer distances. 5 gig Wi-Fi doesn't have a long broadcast range and will perform badly if the signal strength is low. Most routers these days have a 2.4 and 5 gig SSID make sure to give them different names, so you know which one is which.

I hope this helps you outSmiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi there, 

Appreciate any replies. 

Hi @Anonymous User

For watching sports. Your best bet is a device that supports 50 Hz output. The devices below support 50 Hz output: unfortunately, I don't believe PlayStation supports 50 Hz output. NowTV's content is 50 Hz. So if the device you're using outputs at 60 Hz. The content has to be converted. This can resultt in the picture Being jumpy/Fuzzy

⦁    Xbox one (change video output settings to allow 50 Hz output)
⦁    EE TV box
⦁    Samsung smart TV (2015/16 models)
⦁    LG smart TV (2013 onwards)
⦁    Apple TV (change video output settings to allow 50 Hz output)
⦁    chromecast ((change video output settings to allow 50 Hz output)

your best bet would be to get a now TV box and connect it to your TV. Do bear in mind though that you will need a TV that supports HDMI.

http://www.nowtv.com/best-tv-boxes

With regard to the buffering you're experiencing who is your ISP? Depending on who your ISP is there may be something specific you can do which could help.

I would say where it is reasonably possible to do so always use ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. If you have to use Wi-Fi try to put your router on a separate Wi-Fi channel to neighbouring routers to help reduce interference and if the device you're using is a reasonable distance away from you router put the device onto 2.4 gig Wi-Fi rather than five gig as 2.4 gig has better performance over longer distances. 5 gig Wi-Fi doesn't have a long broadcast range and will perform badly if the signal strength is low. Most routers these days have a 2.4 and 5 gig SSID make sure to give them different names, so you know which one is which.

I hope this helps you outSmiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 wrote:
    Samsung smart TV (2015/16 models)

@Anonymous User  - From my experience  the latest Now TV box (the £40 one with free view tuning) is the best with a 30 minute pause should you ever need it.  You can get over the wifi issues by plugging it directly into the router. Only disadvantage is it needs its own power, its own remote and leaves a couple of wires dangling along with having to find a place for the largish box.

The Samsung TV app is not particularly good.  In fact so poor that  I quickly reverted to the Roku stick which is far superior despite the 60Hz output.  

Generally I use the Roku stick which provides a great picture despite the 60Hz output and it doesn't jump nor buffer.  The Roku is quite smart in that respect in that I unplugged the router the other day whilst watching an on demand programme and it had buffered up enough to not impact it. OK I need another remote, but at least it can all be hidden at the back of the TV.

Generally if you have 5GHz on your wifi then that is preferable as it is less prone to channel interference from neighbours.  On 2.4GHZ there must be about 20 available networks but just the one 5GHz.  It may have a slightly weaker signal, but it is consistent and won't drop like the 2.4GHZ if the wind blows the wrong way.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks for all the replies guys, and especially the detailed response from commanda!

Unfortunately it would not be practical for me to have a wired connection, but sounds as if the now tv smart box is the best bet so I'll grab one of those. 

Thanks again!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Unfortunately it would not be practical for me to have a wired connection, but sounds as if the now tv smart box is the best bet so I'll grab one of those. 

If you don't require a Freeview (DVB-T/T2) tuner you'd be better off going for the more basic 'black' box, which can run quite happily off a 5 volt 500mA power supply.

And if you can't directly connect via 'wired' ethernet, then the next best thing is to use are 'powerline networking adaptors' ie: HomePlugs.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

If you don't require a Freeview (DVB-T/T2) tuner you'd be better off going for the more basic 'black' box, which can run quite happily off a 5 volt 500mA power supply.

And if you can't directly connect via 'wired' ethernet, then the next best thing is to use are 'powerline networking adaptors' ie: HomePlugs.

Cheers

Many thanks, sorry to keep asking questions! But are homeplugs worth the price in terms of reliability in your experience? 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Cheers

Many thanks, sorry to keep asking questions! But are homeplugs worth the price in terms of reliability in your experience? 

Hi @Anonymous User

If you want the ability to pause the NowTV live channels, then you be better off going for the smart box the live pause can be useful because you can go and get a drink, et cetera, without missing anything which could be particularly useful for sport

Two things to remember about home plugs

• they must be plugged into a proper wall socket not a mains extension
  • with home plugs. I would say the principle of you get what you pay for is true, so it's advisable to stay away from the cheaper stuff. 

We've brought cheaper stuff in the past and had it break within 12 to 18 months. The stuff we have now is better but it was more expensive. My suggestion is at the link below. There are cheaper options than this suggestion, but as I say, I would think twice about going for the cheaper stuff.

Hope that helpsSmiley Happy

edit

Oh dear, I forgot the link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required-TL-PA4020PKIT/dp/B01M16AZTI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1494502473&sr=8-5&keywords=home+plugs+ethernet

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User  I agree with @commanda6 The new Smart box delivers a better picture for sport and has the 30 minute pause and for the extra £20 or so is well worth it even if you never use the freeview tuner.  And that is for wired and wireless.

The powerline adapters are a great idea and I use them to send the wifi signal all around the house, but for them to work most effectively you should plug them direct into the socket rather than an extension as stated

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...The new Smart box delivers a better picture for sport...

Actually, the 'smart' box and the 'black' box offer identical 720p images...

Legend 5
Legend 5

Best device is TV at your local public house 😉

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.