cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holmezy
Mentor

Will it work?

Hey all.

Currently have the Now TV 2 hub wireless disabled and then ethernet going in to a google nest wifi mesh.

All has been great from the google mesh side of things, but I am now wanting to move on and replace the google mesh with this Asus router https://www.asus.com/uk/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/tuf-gaming-ax6000/ so I can use my VPN across the whole network.

I assume it's the same process of just ethernet from the hub in to the Asus and use it in bridge mode?

6 REPLIES 6
Jayach
Elite 3

It's going to be a "suck it and see" situation.

The Now hub doesn't have a modem only mode so you will probably be running the ASUS as double NAT.

That may work fine for you, as that is probably how the google nest is working, but may cause problems.

As I say, I think you just have to try it and see.

Holmezy
Mentor
Yeah. It most likely is running double NAT as it leaves us with no other option.

Mind you I have noticed no issues even if it is double nat!
AC28
Advocate

Hey,

Hope you got it to work.

I have just got NOW Hub 2 and have also bought the Google Nest Wifi Pro with 3 hubs. Is it easy to set up and does it work as intended?

I am nervous about trying to set it up and it doesn't make a difference or improve the Hub2 performance, which quite frankly is poor.

Any advice, tips or insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks 

RoyB
Legend

@AC28 

You have to say @Holmezy in your post, if you want their attention, unless they are monitoring the Community at this moment. An @mention should get them emailed, so they know their advice is being sought.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
AC28
Advocate

Thank you @RoyB.

@Holmezy any pointers you could provide would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks both!

Holmezy
Mentor

Hey @AC28 I'm so sorry for the delay in reply here.

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on the ASUS side of things as I was hoping by now an FTTP provider would come along but it does not appear or be the case, so I’m left with no option to just buy it and then like above “suck it and see” and most likely get double NAT.
Of course I could buy a BT Modem second hand off Facebook marketplace and use that as the modem in to the ASUS which I am also looking in to at the moment. 

To answer your question about the Google Nest mesh….it works perfectly. 

Download the Google home app.

Ethernet connect the now box to the wan port on the master nest hub

disable the WiFi on the now box

follw the set up steps in the Google home app. The app will configure and do everything for you. 

get connected.

as above though it’s probably double NAT as the now offers no “bridge mode” but it’s been working fine for me. 

good luck 👍🏼