cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wifi periodically drops out

I find that quite often during the day my wifi connection just drops out and reconnects again a few seconds later. Just this evening this has happened 4 times. I have reasonably good connectivity in the room I'm in. I had a bit of a search and found people suggesting it was down to a problem with the router. It is not that the internet is dropping repeatedly, our smart  TV is faulty and will no longer pick up WiFi, so this is connected using an Ethernet cable and we never have problems when streaming. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User C

On an Android device, download the free WiFi Analyzer Classic app from farproc* and use it to see what happens when you get dropouts - does the signal really fail, or weaken, at these times, does another signal come in and swamp yours, will moving the router to a different channel help, and so on....

*There are lots of Android apps that do this, with very similar names, and some of them are rated higher than this one. Which may mean that they are superior. But this is the one that I have always used, it does everything I want, and if you use it and get certain results, I can tell you what you are looking at. Which I might or might not be able to do with one of the others.

There are no iOS apps that do it, as Apple prohibits some of the functionality involved.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, 

@RoyB  thanks for responding.

I've downloaded the app and it tells me there is no wifi signal to analyse, despite the fact that I am connected on WiFi.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

It only shows one channel at a time, and it doesn’t default to any particular Wi-fi.

You have to touch the rectangle below the meter display, and then choose your router on the page of SSIDs that appears.

Try the Channel graph, where you can see all the signals at once.

Maybe that’s why one of its competitors gets a better score, because it avoids confusing you like that 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB unfortunately I had tried that and it says no WiFi signal in range. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

These changes that i made on the web browser settings on my NowTV Hub 2 Router on the link thread below worked for me, where i was getting random wifi drop outs during the day when casting Spotify from my Android mobile devices to my Chromecast dongles dotted around the home.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Other-Apps/My-wifi-keeps-dropping-out-despite-having-three-green-lights-on/m-p/506848 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

What do you see on the Channel graph?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB  nothing on the channel graph. The app looks as though there is nothing happening at all. I've tried the fix that someone else posted earlier today. I haven't been paying enough attention to notice any change but I imagine I'll know by this evening. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The only way I can think that would be happening is that the device you are running it on isn’t on your WiFi network; is it a phone running on 4G only, for instance?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB I've just turned my 4G off and I'm posting this message using WiFi only, I'm still having the same issue with the app. It's quite the puzzle!