cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill3
Mentor

Signal drop out

I’m new to Now Broadband Super Fibre as of today having switched from Sky.

I'm experiencing WiFi signal drop outs as close as next to the router and in some parts of the house (slightly further away from the router) picking up very little or no signal.

I’ve read that Now are unlikely to offer any solutions other than the usual ‘move the router’.

Before I start contacting them, is this still the case or is it worth speaking to them? I don’t want to miss out on my 14 day cooling off period.

14 REPLIES 14
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Bill3 

You could try splitting the bands incase the router is struggling to handle it. Which could be the case as the router from NOW isn't the best. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

If you are able to use your own router you might find that to be way better. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Bill3 @gavs82008 

Splitting the bands, proffered here as a range improver, but by Now as a speed improver, is the tech equivalent of the man who blew on his hands to warm them, and then blew on his soup to cool it 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Bill3 

Do you still have the Sky Router or did you have to return it back to Sky ?

If you haven't got to send the Router back to Sky then what model number is it ?

Where if it's a Sky SR203 Router this will be an upgrade over the NOW Hub 2 Router and will also work on the NOW Broadband service.

Worth trying if you still have the Sky Router.

Bill3
Mentor

Can you provide any guidance on how I’d get the old Sky router set up with Now?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Bill3 

If it's a Sky SR203 Router it should be plug and play.

It might take an hour or so to connect to the NOW Broadband service.

BAL75
Advocate

Hi @Bill3 

I'm reading your post with interest as we've also just switched to NowTV Broadband (on 15th, from Plusnet) and we're having similar issues.  I lost connection when typing this!

Did you manage to try a Sky router?  Has it been any better?  The NowTV provided one does seem pretty poor; but I can't workout whether it's dropping the wifi (seems OK on the devices) or just freezing.  I just know I haven't spent so long looking at a browsers progress bar in years.  We don't have a Sky router to try but we're prepared to buy a compatible replacement modem/router if it seems it could work, but equally, like you, we don't want to waste opportunity to leave without penalty by giving notice within the 14 day cooling-off period.

Thanks.

Bill3
Mentor

I have yet to try it but will do this weekend.

I had a fairly exhausting conversation with customer/technical support yesterday which culminated in splitting the network (as was suggested earlier in this thread). It has had *some* improvement on the range, I now pick up signal in a couple of spots that I didn’t before but certainly not throughout the house as expected.

BAL75
Advocate

Thanks for the update.  I've already tried splitting the frequencies and it had little effect unfortunately.

Our house is reasonably large and we've always needed a couple of powerline wifi extenders (these are connected to the router via ethernet).  As test I switched off the wifi on the Hub completely and accessed the internet only via the extenders' wifi.  While the wifi connection seems to be good, the internet performance is still dreadful.  It's frequently taking 30+ seconds to load webpages and sometimes stalls completely.

Looking forward to hearing whether a different router/modem works better.

Bill3
Mentor

I have plugged the old Sky router back in and it has brought me back to my much improved range! However I have (according to my iPhone) ‘weak security’.