cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WindyFloss
Mentor

Settings applied on Router don't stay set

I've been trying to enable the 2.4GHz band on my router in order to add some smart lights.

When I follow the instructions to split the Wifi into 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ rather than the standard (just 5GHZ) the settings appear to apply but when I refresh they have reverted.

I would like to have  a web chat with a technical support person but it appears all I can do is comment on the issue in this forum.

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@WindyFloss 

You won’t get any live chat for broadband as that’s reserved for TV only. 
There is also a countless number threads that contain the number for the broadband team number. 

Have you done a factory reset to the router?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

If that fails call broadband support using the number from the below link.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
WindyFloss
Mentor

Thanks for taking the time. I'll try the number.

Send your invoice to now 😉

redchiz1
Champion 2

This might sound daft, but once you have changed settings on most routers there is usually an extra button to press e.g. Save, or Apply, often at the bottom of the screen, are you sure you have done this? 

WindyFloss
Mentor

Fair point, I had done that. I even tried from two different browsers in case that was the problem

RoyB
Legend

@WindyFloss 

But standard isn’t ‘just 5GHz’ or no 2.4GHz devices would work at all. It’s both, and the device and the router are supposed to negotiate which band to use.

If you have 2.4GHz devices that aren’t connecting, though, you should turn off the 5GHz temporarily, until they are connected, and then turn it on again.

I realise that this involves making the removal persist, and then making the restoration persist, which you have an issue with. So it’s best done over an Ethernet connection, rather than WiFi, as changing things over WiFi may break the connection you are doing the change over, before you can get to the ‘Save’ button.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite 2

If all else fails then you can re-set the router , there should be a factory/reset button usually hidden behind a little hole .

As well as "spitting " the bands give them slightly different names such as adding 5G to the 5Ghz network .

In my case i have some devices that only work on 2.4 ( such as smart sockets) , some that will see the 5Ghz network but wont work on it ( two smart bulbs) , some that work better on 5Ghz ( such as media streamers - Roku/firestick etc) and some which it doesn't matter , such as a smart thermostat, mobile phones and tablets