cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piglet123

NOW TV hub two

I have just moved into a new flat where I have a TV and a NOW TV hub two box. im not sure if this means I can watch live TV from this and im not sure how I can find this out. I also am not sure with how to connect it to the TV so if anyone knows any of this please give me your advice. 

7 REPLIES 7
Tompo
Scholar 2

@piglet123 

The NOW Hub 2 is your broadband router, despite the somewhat confusing naming convention NOW (formerly NOW TV) broadband has nothing to do with TV. The Hub 2 plugs into your phone line (via a micro filter) and enables you to connect to the internet, either via WiFi or wired ethernet connection. It cannot be connected to your TV.

If you want to watch any NOW (Sky) programmes either live or on demand you will need to purchase the appropriate TV 'membership' for instance Entertainment, Cinema or Sports, this can be done from your online account. In addition to the correct TV membership you will of course need a supported device to watch it on, some smart TVs have the NOW app built in (or downloadable) so will be good to go, otherwise you can use a streaming device of some description (Fire Stick, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast etc) or watch on a computer, phone or tablet.

RoyB
Legend

@piglet123 @Tompo 

If you have moved into a flat and found a Now hub there, it is quite possible that the outgoing tenant terminated the Now subscription, so all you have is a dead router.

Though maybe the service is in the landlord’s name, and this is part of an ‘all bills paid’ package you get with the flat? Worth asking them, if so.

Anyway, turn the Hub on, look underneath it for the password, and try connecting to it with a device you might have - a mobile phone in airplane mode would be good - to see if it brings up the SSID of the router. If not, no go, but if it does input the password from the router, and see if it connects.

If it does, great; if not, you will have to source your own broadband.

But whoever you get broadband from, Now streaming is a separate service from the broadband. Look on the Help here, supported devices, to see if your TV is among them.

If so, great, and you can start the Now app on the TV once you have broadband and have connected the TV by WiFi, downloading the Now app first if it isn’t present, and choose what membership(s) you want.

If not, a Roku Express or Stick, or a Firestick, will add the smarts you need to your TV, and off you go.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@piglet123 @Tompo 

Anyway, turn the Hub on, look underneath it for the password, and try connecting to it with a device you might have - a mobile phone in airplane mode would be good 

Does airplane mode not turn off mobile and W-Fi connections?

It does on my phone.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

It depends on the phone, it seems. My Samsung A53 does indeed turn off everything, but has a note saying you can turn WiFi and/or Bluetooth on again, so the above instructions need amending to cover this, as the main aim was just to get mobile internet turned off.

If I could edit them… 😢

Thanks for the correction.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach 

It depends on the phone, it seems. My Samsung A53 does indeed turn off everything, but has a note saying you can turn WiFi and/or Bluetooth on again,

On my Redmi, it's easier to just turn the mobile data off. 

Jayach_0-1695579985523.png

Although it's not necessary to do that just to connect to Wi-Fi

Tompo
Scholar 2

@RoyB @Jayach @piglet123 

Probably worth resetting the Hub 2 first (hold down the reset button on the back for 10 seconds) as the previous user may well have changed the SSID or password from the default on the sticker underneath. Either that or press and hold the WPS button until it flashes orange, that way entering the password is bypassed.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

You can see why I prefer supporting Apple devices 😛