cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrienneOfTarth
Advocate

Google TV doesn't search within Now

The voice search within Google TV doesn't return results for Now service.  e.g. within Google TV, if you search for a film and it'll show you results from Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Apple TV, etc but not Now.

I contact Google Support and they said it's up to app developers to add Google TV search integration.

I know the Now app has it's own search function, but it's not as handy as using the Google TV search.

Any plans to add search support of Google TV?

7 REPLIES 7
redchiz1
Champion 2

All I can suggest is that you use the feedback form here:

https://help.nowtv.com/complaints

Jayach
Elite 3

There really is no such thing as Google TV search, that encompasses the whole streaming industry.

There are other search engines that try to do what you want, but Google TV search isn't one of them.

However a standard Google search will usually provide the information you require.

What about this one: JustWatch - Streaming Search Engine for Movies and TV Series

BrienneOfTarth
Advocate

I'm referring to the Google TV operating system, not Google search. It's the system used in a lot of modern smart TVs and Google's own 4K "Chromecast with Google TV" unit too. The TV remote has a search button that returns results from installed streaming service apps and allows you to access movies/programmes directly from the list. Now is not supported.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@BrienneOfTarth have you had any success with Google TV and Now integration? There's a TalkTalk ad on terrestrial television showing their new box with Google assistant and voice commands working for Now. I've had some limited success using Google assistant and Roku (it finds shows by searching but won't play them).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Saint1976 

I just dusted down my Chromecast Google TV 4K (which I don't use) updated it to the last firmware and for me the Google voice Assistant doesn't work with the NOW App.

I tried saying "play game of Thrones on NOW" and a few different variants and even though Google picked up my exact words on the microphone it didn't work.

And like you the only thing I could do is say "open NOW" which opened the NOW App and that's all.

I did go over on the TalkTalk community forum to see any threads, but couldn't find anything at the moment.

There was a help article on TalkTalk about Google Assistant with their new TV box and it did show a photo of NOW with Game of Thrones with an image of the Google Assistant button circled on the remote and the words "Play Game of Thrones".

Screenshot_20230312-095430_Samsung Internet.jpg

Perhaps somebody who owns this TalkTalk box with a NOW subscription can test out and report back accordingly.

abettername

Bump on this article… I just bought sky cinema because I wanted to search all apps to find the movie I wanted…. Then realised it doesn’t work this way 🙈😂 if anyone got a work around or a fix for this please let me know 

RoyB
Legend

@abettername 

I use JustWatch, as linked to above. Nothing else comes close.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.