cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThrowawayIPQ
Advocate

Changing IPv4 on Now Broadband

Hi all

I've today been gaming online and received a message quoting my IPv4 address to me and promising to do some nefarious things. 

Obviously, this has spooked me a little from a security perspective and I'm hoping to change my IPv4. A quick look at similar threads suggested these are dynamic and would change with a reboot. This didn't work (I unplugged everything for a few hours - same IPV4 on reconnection) and an unhelpful call to Now Customer Services said there was absolutely nothing they could do and my IP address was static.

This seems very unlikely from what I can see online - Does anyone know how if it's possible to change my IPv4?

Thanks so much for any help!

3 REPLIES 3
Jayach
Elite 3

Any site you visit knows your I.P. address, so I suspect that message was just some kind of scam.

As far as I know Now do not use static addresses, but from when I was on Sky, they were very "sticky".

Perhaps try turning the router off when you go to bed, I bet it will get a new address when you switch it on the next morning.

Jayach
Elite 3

Another thought, I don't know the Now router, but most routers will have an option to restart the DSL connection. If you have one and can try it a few times that may get a new I.P. address. It's safer (and quicker) to do it that way as, unlike rebooting the router, it wont trigger DLM.

Here's what it looks like on my Vodafone router: 

Jayach_0-1688236205488.png

Perhaps someone with a Now router can confirm if it has that option.

ThrowawayIPQ
Advocate

Cheers mate - I can't see any option for this, but appreciate you putting the time into suggesting it. Going to give the overnight disconnection a go!