cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VKH
Advocate

How do I get an upgraded now tv box?

How do I get an upgraded box as mine is old and doesn't load new apps (Disney+ for example)

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @VKH 

Sounds like you got the NOW Freeview Smart box with the blue NOW TV name on the top box casing if it doesn't support the Disney + App anymore.

Unfortunately NOW don't sell either the NOW boxes or NOW Stick anymore where they have been discontinued.

Look at something like a Roku player or Amazon Fire Stick has a replacement, though these devices don't have a Freeview inbuilt tuner with a TV aerial connection on them and you will have to use alternative means to watch Freeview (unless you keep watching on the NOW Freeview Smart box).

nst
Elite

Bad news is.... you dont.  NOW stopped selling own branded hardware a few years ago.

Good new is... theres a lot of other options out there where the NOW app works very well.  Cheapest being an Amazon Firestick.

RoyB
Legend

@nst 

On Amazon maybe (surprise, surprise!) but if you cast your net wider, to Currys or Argos for instance, you can get a Roku Express for what Roku say the RRP is:-

IMG_1099.jpeg

IMG_1100.jpeg

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
MisterLogic
Advocate

This is an old thread but I thought I would add my contribution too!  I just needed to replace my Now TV smart box because the Disney+ app on it was "no longer supported".  I have chosen a Google Chromecast box, which is very small and works very well - you can add apps from the Google Play store for Now TV, Disney+ and various catch up services.  Got an HD Chromecast (not 4k) for only £22.99 from Argos.

RoyB
Legend

@MisterLogic 

I got a Chromecast 4K for Xmas.

Disappointingly, it does not have the All Four/Channel 4 catchup app, and I have two 2021 LG TVs with the same omission.

So I can’t use it with either of those, and need a Roku or Firestick on each 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Mala

@VKH mine says the same thing…what about Roku Express???

RoyB
Legend

@Mala 

Yes, and if I didn’t want or need 4K, as provided by the Roku Express 4K, a Roku Express HD would be my goto choice.