cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV WINDOWS 10 APP

Used to wtach NOW TV in browser using web front end worked fine.

Just bought a moinths pass and had to install NOW TV DESKTOP APP.

RESULT = endless stop start mising 5 seconds at a time . NO good for sports.

My setup 50MB on BT Infinity, GIGABIT Ethernet cable direct from hub to laptop running windows 10, thinkbroadband speed test over that link gives 50Mb and 23ms latency.

SO SKY HOW DO I GET THE SERVICE I HAVE JUST PAID FOR??

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Very interesting but why open Edge if you need to open IE?

Thanks for the replies but this, as well as machine specs, is a bit irrelevant.  The software quality is very poor and am raising a complaint about it as this is a paid for service.  The point of my post was to try and help the other poor souls who will struggle like I did.  And I work in IT.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User because IE is not easily available. Pulling it through from edge is an easy way to find it. The machine specs are relevant as a low spec pc may struggle. The software is limited based on the capability of the device it is used on.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 Thanks, I know you are trying to help but your comments are obfuscating the root issue.  Edge is not necessarily on the desktop either if one has chosen to use a different browser as I had (Chrome).  If the best way of streaming is to use IE then Now need to make this a lot clearer.  Similarly, if there is a minimum spec for the player app, then this should be made clear but why even prompt to run it if there is a better way?  Oh, because the sole merchantable focus is on a browser that has c. 17% share of global usage.  And if the same spec machine works using Silverlight and IE but doesn't using the player then it is the player software that is relevant to the case, not the machine spec.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bluesman,  I totally agree with you.

The same spec laptop worked fine with IE and the web browser viewer.  Since the NOW TV desktop application (which had no stated hardware requirements / spec) the service is unusable.

Also, the reason that NOW TV developed the desktop app is that Microsoft is dropping the Silverlight plug in that was used by NOW TV web streaming.

In fact the latest guide from NOW TV is still plugging the desktop app https://help.nowtv.com/article/watching-now-tv-on-windows and was posted 20th June 2017.

It is not the NOW TV but it's use of CISCO VIDEO GUARD that hogs the PC.

I am pressing NOW TV for a full refund.  If I don't get it by the weekend then I'll contact my bank to seek a refund and failing I am tempted to raise a small claims claim against them.