cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JW
Advocate

The end of landline stability and your providers obligation to vulnerable customers

Off topic but on topic as I couldn't find any other threads to post this! 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/future-of-landline-calls

I'd like to know what now will be doing for its vulnerable customers who rely on landlines, as they are as it seems obliged to provide resilience solutions 

If you are dependent on your landline phone – for example, if you don’t have a mobile phone or don’t have mobile signal at your home – your provider must offer you a solution to make sure you can contact the emergency services when a power cut occurs. For example, a mobile phone (if you have signal), or a battery back-up unit for your landline phone.

This solution should be provided free of charge to people who are dependent on their landline. If you are not eligible for a free resilience solution, you may be able to purchase one from your provider or another retailer – talk to your provider about options.

Your provider should arrange to supply the equipment needed to keep your main telephone connected

If you need any new equipment to make your main telephone work – for example, a new router, new telephone handset or if you need a new broadband service installed, your provider will arrange this.

I know many elderly folks like my parents, or disabled who don't use or own mobile phones, and often rely on landlines for hospital appointments, medication ordering or communicating with family.

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JW 

Your best to email customer support. They won’t reply on here, see this link for the forum purpose.
https://community.nowtv.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/what-is-community-for

Email address
customer services @ Nowtv . Com (ensure no spaces)

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@JW 

We have FTTP with BT Broadband, with VoIP in the router.

The mains-powered ATA from BT that supports the equally mains-powered traditional DECT base station will not operate in a power cut.

BT have ensured that I have a further handset that talks directly to the router, and will keep going for at least an hour on battery backup in a power cut.

The router will fail over to a mobile dongle in a power cut, so I can maintain my internet connection on a battery-backed laptop.

However, the battery-backed handset will be trying to talk to the dead router, and won’t be aware of the dongle, so that will be a lot of use 😢

So Skype or mobile? But do I recall that Skype can’t make emergency calls, or has that changed now? Or maybe there is something else?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

My router is on a talentcelll UPS that will keep it going for just over 7 hours in a powercut situation, I can if i wanted to plug in a 4G/5G dongle that the router will fall onto if the DSL ( ie Now Broadband) fails - but this is an additional expense that i dont see the point of as things are now .

Powercuts in the recent past have either been short - ie under 1.5 hours or long such as over 6 hours or more.

Mobile phone signals dont fare too well in a powercut either, with O2 and Vodafone both failing within 5 minutes and EE/Three lasting a little more at around 20 to 30 minutes into a powercut, so if the power is off for any significant amount of time then mobile networks are also un usuable , this means that you need to use a corded phone to contact anyone - or be contacted yourself, and if you need someones number you have to use the contacts app on your mobile in order to get a landline number for someone which you then dial on the corded phone.

The irritating thing is that  in the past the power supply was rock solid and powercuts only started after they did work to improve the reliability and resilience of the power supply network in the area