Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Robert

It was so hot yesterday that I did not switch on my PC, so I'm sorry that I did not see your invite but rest assured I had that cold beer, so I was there in spirit.

I don't know if you've seen this on the news but a video was taken of a boa constrictor eating a pigeon in London.

Gasp Emoji.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45074866

But, I gasp, we don't have such snakes in the UK but, it seems, thanks to global warming such an event may eventually become a common sight.

Yes, crazy times indeed.

UK Bob

PS. Seems like I won't be able to complete my music system's project, I was unable to get a particular piece of equipment from Amazon, they kept sending me the wrong item.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User

Hi Robert

It was so hot yesterday that I did not switch on my PC, so I'm sorry that I did not see your invite but rest assured I had that cold beer, so I was there in spirit.

I don't know if you've seen this on the news but a video was taken of a boa constrictor eating a pigeon in London.

Gasp Emoji.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45074866

But, I gasp, we don't have such snakes in the UK but, it seems, thanks to global warming such an event may eventually become a common sight.

Yes, crazy times indeed.

UK Bob

PS. Seems like I won't be able to complete my music system's project, I was unable to get a particular piece of equipment from Amazon, they kept sending me the wrong item.

That spirit being of the smirnoff variety? Smiley LOL

I saw that video last night. Whatever next?

I feel for you and your problems with Amazon Smiley Mad Very frustrating for you I'm sure. Don't give up though, maybe you'll be able to source it from elsewhere, fingers crossed Smiley Happy

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Have any of you guys ever went to the dark side a went full wireless for your audio setups? I've been thinking of it for a while now. I recently upgraded my Bluetooth speaker to this one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Megablast-Bluetooth-Waterproof/dp/B075XV74YT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...) and i can tell you it's amazing. I went from the first UE Boom to this one after my original broke due to being thrown about the beach a bit too much but really it is amazing how far sound has come in these types of speakers.

The added benefits of alexa make this one of my favourite purchases in years.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hey Tony

I can't speak for anybody else but Alexa (talking machines), portable sounds and wirelessness (probably no such word) are all things I either dislike or intensely dislike. 

Sorry Tony, but I'm just too "old school" to go for any of that stuff except that I will accept some wireless equipment in limited areas but never talking machines or portable music.

However, I do not begrudge the fact that you like and take full advantage of the above.

UK Bob

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hey Tony

I can't speak for anybody else but Alexa (talking machines), portable sounds and wirelessness (probably no such word) are all things I either dislike or intensely dislike. 

Sorry Tony, but I'm just too "old school" to go for any of that stuff except that I will accept some wireless equipment in limited areas but never talking machines or portable music.

However, I do not begrudge the fact that you like and take full advantage of the above.

UK Bob

@ukbobboy Each to their own. I'm just too intrigued by technology i think. Even if it does mean i'm being monitored and followed by unknown sources lol. I bought a Smart Plug and have no real use for it. Except being able to turn my living room lamp on by voice. Trouble is, i'm never in the living room. Don't get me wrong though, i still use my amp and speakers for gaming on my PC and PS4 and general music however this new speaker is just way too good at delivery great highs, mids and lows. So crisp and smooth while even at the highest volume not loosing any fidelity. My favourite part is being able to say 'Alexa, put on Heart 80s for me' and boom, Heart 80s is on 🙂

But i do see where you are coming from. There's no replicating old sound. I think, the CEO of either AMD (i could be wrong) has a sound system that's decades old and it supposedly sounds amazing. I'll post a link if i can find it again. Edit: Here's the source https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq4LRFPyiq4

The whole technological drive right now seems to be, wireless or bust. I watched a video of a prototype charging device the other day and you can actually walk into a room and your phone will start charging. Works via UV light and specific voltages or something like that haha. The only thing holding the wireless field back seems to be battery power. I've heard that there have been no significant advancements in battery technology since the 90s which is crazy. Sorry for going OT :')

We toured EVGA CEO Andrew Han's personal audio room in Taiwan, featuring 100-year-old audio equipment from now-defunct Western Electric. Buy the GN Anti-Static Modmat: https://store.gamersnexus.net/products/modmat Our tour of the EVGA CEO's audio room gave us an opportunity to get hands-on with ...
ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D

Hi Tony

You know, I do not have anything against technology moving forward, in fact I think that on the whole it is a good thing. However, there are some tech that are rushed onto the market without verifying whether it is safe.

For example, my son loves his mobile phones, he uses them every minute of everyday until he started to get the most painful migraines. Neither the local surgery or hospital doctors could say what was wrong until I remembered that some mobiles emit micro radiation and so was slowly cooking his brain. So advised him to start cutting down on his mobile usage and, instead of holding his phone to his ear, use headphones instead. Result, no more headaches and problem solved.

So when you say, "...you can actually walk into a room and your phone will start charging. Works via UV light and specific voltages..." That kinda fills me with dread (of the unknown radiation filling the room).

As you know, nearly all radiation are harmful in sufficient doses and we don't really know what those doses are and how they will affect our mainly water based bodies.

So yeah, I'll stick with wires as long as I can, plus they are more secure than sending signals through the air.  I sure you've heard about the major department store in the US that got their customer's data hacked by criminals sitting outside their store in a van.

Sorry, I'm being pessimistic again.

Bad News Bob 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Tony-D

Hi Tony

You know, I do not have anything against technology moving forward, in fact I think that on the whole it is a good thing. However, there are some tech that are rushed onto the market without verifying whether it is safe.

For example, my son loves his mobile phones, he uses them every minute of everyday until he started to get the most painful migraines. Neither the local surgery or hospital doctors could say what was wrong until I remembered that some mobiles emit micro radiation and so was slowly cooking his brain. So advised him to start cutting down on his mobile usage and, instead of holding his phone to his ear, use headphones instead. Result, no more headaches and problem solved.

So when you say, "...you can actually walk into a room and your phone will start charging. Works via UV light and specific voltages..." That kinda fills me with dread (of the unknown radiation filling the room).

As you know, nearly all radiation are harmful in sufficient doses and we don't really know what those doses are and how they will affect our mainly water based bodies.

So yeah, I'll stick with wires as long as I can, plus they are more secure than sending signals through the air.  I sure you've heard about the major department store in the US that got their customer's data hacked by criminals sitting outside their store in a van.

Sorry, I'm being pessimistic again.

Bad News Bob 

I noticed that myself to be honest @ukbobboy I now have a blue light filter active on my PC and Phone at night for this very reason.

The good thing about this wireless charging thing is that it is actually Infrared light that is beamed to a reciever and the recievers use a miniature photovoltaic cell to convert transmitted light into electrical power.

Here's two nice snippets

• 100% of the transmitted power reaches the receiver. All the transmitted optical power can be used to generate electricity.
  • Power beams do not reach people, animals or unrelated objects.

Although it's safe to say that in my ideal world i would have everything connected via LAN. Unfortunately it's just not as flexible.  This topic is too interesting haha. So many variable. Also, it's not pessimistic it's just being more careful than others like myself :')

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Alexa....NOPE. I'm not on for companies etc spying on my every word and movement thank you.

Our over-reliance on AI etc is going to be the ruin of our civilisation. The asteroid killed the dinosaur.....our intelligence is going to be our asteroid. We've created a world where people cannot communicate unless it's via their phone, only why they call it a phone is beyond me as it's heads down for bingo, no it's not, it's heads down as we stare at our phones and ignore everyone around us.

From ape we arose.....back to ape we descend Smiley LOL

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Alexa....NOPE. I'm not on for companies etc spying on my every word and movement thank you.

Our over-reliance on AI etc is going to be the ruin of our civilisation. The asteroid killed the dinosaur.....our intelligence is going to be our asteroid. We've created a world where people cannot communicate unless it's via their phone, only why they call it a phone is beyond me as it's heads down for bingo, no it's not, it's heads down as we stare at our phones and ignore everyone around us.

From ape we arose.....back to ape we descend Smiley LOL

Haha, love it @Anonymous User I know what your saying. It's a double edged sword. People are living longer than ever while on the other hand, people seem to be getting lazier. It's a weird future ahead.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Tony-D

Looking at @Anonymous User's previous post,

have you ever asked Alexa if she works for the CIA? It's so funny as she stalled when I asked her! 😮

I don't go for all the fancy Alexa devices, I bought my Echo dot when it was down to £40. I love it for white noise when I can't sleep.

That and audible. I LOVE audible!

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂