cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV on Linux

Hi there.  I've just signed up for NowTV and have an entertainment pass, to find that I can't use it on my PC.   I'm a long term user of Linux, who gave up on Windows about 14 years ago.  I'm currently running Linux Mint 17.3 and wanted to watch TV on my PC.  Why can't I?  Is there a solution?  Any ideas anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can't... which is why theres a free trial for content first... try before you pay... 14 days to test it out...

You can't view on linux as Linux never Supported Silverlight from Microsoft at all and Third party recodes do not support DRM changes Microsoft added to silverlights DRM... breaking the reverse engineered versions... 

Dispite the myth HTML5 would bring DRM GPU drivers to all browsers on all systems thats still a myth as it does not,

DRM on Linux Drivers Is NOT compliant with Windows Or Mac driver levels, So even HTML5 DRM is not going to be compliant... This is because ZERO day DRM levels for TV, FILMS and SPORT events that content providers add that matter are Higher requirement DRM levels than 3 year old movies which no body would pay for any more any way that are shown on Freeview channels IPTV...

Silverlight is still a requirement to watch 720p and Higher content protected with DRM ... 

Only when Safari and IE stop support for silverlight will HTML5 be used on all systems but don't expect HD with out DRM compliant drivers and Intell and AMD is not any were near ready on linux to supply the required drivers as linux is run on some very very old hardware....

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
redchiz1
Champion 2

@Katie8944 

They do tell you, you didn't bother checking. Have you tried using the Chrome browser?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/get-now-on-my-device

RoyB
Legend

@Katie8944 

Are all your friends a secret coterie of Linux-only users, or are they ordinary people who just want to view some good entertainment, and you want them to deprive themselves of that in support of you, because you didn’t do your homework?

Asking for a friend… 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Katie8944 

It's not up to NOW to tell you that you don't have a suitable device. As @redchiz1  says it is up to you to check that your device is supported from the list in that link.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help