cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

"Online TV streaming service, NOW TV, is to launch its most advanced TV box later this year. The brand new NOW TV Smart Box will bring together NOW TV’s wide range of pay TV content and over 60 live free-to-air channels.

Additionally customers with a NOW TV Box will see new a brand new interface (UI) roll out to their TVs from February. The new-look UI will include a number of great new features including a content-rich homepage offering editorial recommendations of what to watch across catch up TV apps and pay TV content from NOW TV. A new ‘Best of Catch Up’ section, curated by content partners, will also arrive showcasing all the best shows our customers may have missed in one place.

Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV said: “The launch of our new homepage on the NOW TV Box will make it easier than ever for our customers to quickly find and watch their favourite shows. And when the new NOW TV Smart Box arrives later this year, it will be the perfect one-stop box to get a contract-free, flexible way of watching the best of pay TV and free-to-air content all in one place.”

NOW TV worked with Silicon Valley based Roku Inc. to develop the new NOW TV Smart Box which will sit alongside the existing NOW TV Box, with pricing details and further information to be made available later in the year."

340 REPLIES 340
BicBasher
Elite

Considering this is also a Freeview box, this has to be the first NOW TV box that outputs at 50Hz.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher wrote:

Considering this is also a Freeview box, this has to be the first NOW TV box that outputs at 50Hz.

Lets hope so. If it does, "I'm in with bells on" Smiley Very Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

Dear Forum Members

I am sure that no one has missed the fact that the (ultra) new Now TV box is based on the Roku 4, and that box does not sport an aerial socket.

However, the Roku 4 does sport a quad core CPU, which I am reasonably sure the new Now TV box will have and this will make the Now TV box the most powerful and fastest smart TV box, at it's price, on the market. 

So, if you want to see what new goodies (hardware facilities, not apps) the new box will have then check out the Roku 4.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/av-accessories/roku-4-1307683/review

UK Bob

mark_suff
Expert

Thanks for that @ukbobboy hadn't actually clicked link for story so didn't see pic of box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Shame that there isn't a picture of the remote as that could provide a few answers Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

You mentioned the remote for the new box, it's more than likely Now TV will stick to the same successful convention as used in previous remotes.  Smiley Wink

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Shame that there isn't a picture of the remote as that could provide a few answers Smiley Happy

Well I wished for the headphones out feature of the Roku remote to make it to the black NOW TV box and didn't get, so I'm now going to start wishing for the headphones out feature of the Roku remote to make it to the NOW TV Smart Box ... 

.. second time lucky maybe (estimated probability 0.01)

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Well I wished for the headphones out feature of the Roku remote to make it to the black NOW TV box and didn't get, so I'm now going to start wishing for the headphones out feature of the Roku remote to make it to the NOW TV Smart Box ... 

.. second time lucky maybe (estimated probability 0.01)

LOL

I'm not liking this negativity @Andy , you should be more of an optimist Smiley Very Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

You say potayto, I say potarto ... You say optimist, I say I was optimist until I didn't get my headphone out enabled remote last time and now I'm not .... 😉

I'll bump the probability up to 0.02 just for you though! 😄

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

You know what I would like to see on all remotes, a self-finding feature (as demonstrated on the Roku 4) because I keep forgetting where I leave them.  I guess this feature would save me 10 - 30 hours a year looking for lost remotes.  Smiley Frustrated

UK Bob