cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

"Online TV streaming service, NOW TV, is to launch its most advanced TV box later this year. The brand new NOW TV Smart Box will bring together NOW TV’s wide range of pay TV content and over 60 live free-to-air channels.

Additionally customers with a NOW TV Box will see new a brand new interface (UI) roll out to their TVs from February. The new-look UI will include a number of great new features including a content-rich homepage offering editorial recommendations of what to watch across catch up TV apps and pay TV content from NOW TV. A new ‘Best of Catch Up’ section, curated by content partners, will also arrive showcasing all the best shows our customers may have missed in one place.

Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV said: “The launch of our new homepage on the NOW TV Box will make it easier than ever for our customers to quickly find and watch their favourite shows. And when the new NOW TV Smart Box arrives later this year, it will be the perfect one-stop box to get a contract-free, flexible way of watching the best of pay TV and free-to-air content all in one place.”

NOW TV worked with Silicon Valley based Roku Inc. to develop the new NOW TV Smart Box which will sit alongside the existing NOW TV Box, with pricing details and further information to be made available later in the year."

340 REPLIES 340
ukbobboy
Legend

Hi BicBasher

I will admit that the white box is now somewhat out of date, it's just not powerful enough to deal with the YouTube updated channel and the box lack facilities that some users would deem essential.

However, for me it is still a functional piece of computer kit that gives me what I expect from it and more just for £10.  After all, what else can you get that gives so much entertainment, ease of use and side-loading facilities for that price?

At some stage in the future I will probably buy a black box, once the white one becomes too underpowered to deal with the channels/apps that are in use at the time.  But for now, the white box meet all my current requirements.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

At some stage in the future I will probably buy a black box, once the white one becomes too underpowered to deal with the channels/apps that are in use at the time.  But for now, the white box meet all my current requirements. 

It's Chistmas... buy yourself a new black box now Smiley Very Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

Well SMD

You said: "It's Chistmas... buy yourself a new black box now."

I just might do that.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi again SMD (& other forum Members)

Well, I did not buy myself a black Now TV box, as a belated Christmas present, I bought instead a TV sound system, called a Sound Stage.

It allows me to hear greater detail and depth in my TV's sound, i.e. Movies, TV Shows, etc., but most of all I can now hear (and feel) the music I play on my TV via my (white) Now TV box.

In other words, that little white smart box just keeps on making that boring old TV into something fresh and vibrant, a real treat.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I thought I was buying. Package of tv, phone & broadband, but I only have received a hub which apparently I can’t use for my tv. Did I have to have a smart tv?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You only receive a NowTV Hub Router for access to the internet when you sign up to NowTV Broadband & Telephone.

I am guessing you have the included free 6 month entertainment pass deal offer that came with the Broadband & Telephone package?

Have a read of this linked help article below on ways to watch NowTV, where if you don't own a suitable device, then maybe look at a NowTV stick with an additional bundled pass from places like Argos, Curry's etc which would be the cheapest option to get NowTV via your television (where i am assuming your TV has a spare HDMI port to connect the stick to).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes I did only receive a hub. Sadly I didn’t know use of my tv wouldn’t be included in the package. Also, that I should have a smart tv!
I think that question should have been asked to me before taking me on as a customer, & a stick to make me be able to watch tv should not be an extra if I need one to convert my tv.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You don’t need a Smart TV for NowTV - a Stick will make it Smart, as long as your TV has a spare HDMI input. And Smart not just with a NowTV, but with all the other major catchup Players as well.

NowTV have certainly muddied the waters by offering an Entertainment Pass with their broadband offering, but there are myriads of devices out there on which people can watch NowTV - which NowTV publish a list of - and for them a Stick would be superfluous, which is why NowTV don’t bundle in a Stick.

But the offer is worth £30-£47.94, depending on how you would otherwise buy passes, and given the further passes bundled with the Stick, you pay another £19.99 now, and don’t pay another penny for NowTV Entertainment from now until 8 months have gone by.

No other service offers a deal anything like as generous this.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@dr_necessitor

Looks interesting, doesn't it Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This simply must offer Sky Content in Native HD if not it'll be another wasted opportunity. I still hope for the necessary upgrade of the black boxes to HD content too.