cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV BOX AND EDUROAM INTERNET

Hi,

I'm using my NOW TV box at university where our network provider is EDUROAM, where to connect to this internet you have to type in a username and a password ( not just a password)

I cant seem to find any way of typing in a username and password when connecting to EDUROAM on my NOW TV box, and when i just type in my password it declines.

We do have a visitors version of EDUROAM, and when i connect to that (as it does not require a password) my screen turns blank and will only display the opening NOW TV screen when turning on and off until i reset it with a pin at the back.

Any help?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Out of interest... Which university are you at?

Cheers

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  hope your studies are going well.  This may give thread may help  http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-white/Connecting-now-tv-to-student-wifi/m-p/399421#U399421   Do you use vouchers to pay for Now?  

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us, I agree with @Anonymous User, I hope you're studies are going well 🙂

In some cases with using a shared network like this, you can get around the issue by asking the administrator to "Allow" connection to NOW TV.

Are you still having issues?

Thanks,

Rob

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As an IT admin at a UK university i can tell you that it would be against the terms of service that govern Eduroam to just "allow" access to NowTV.

Basically it *has* to be done with your username and password as proper WPA2 enterprise.

To answer a question of someone else most if not all UK universities have an Eduroam WiFi network, as do hundreds of other universities around the world. Its a cooperative thing between universties around the world so an academic has WiFi access when visiting another institution using credentials from their home university. Saves a huge amount of hassle settint up internet access for visiting academics. It has now widely been adopted to give access to WiFi at your home university these days as well.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User by that reckoning it would also be against rules for students to use other devices such as Roku boxes, Apple TV and Amazon Fire devices
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No it would not be against the rules for students to use other devices. The requirement for Eduroam is that access is granted on a PER USER basis. From memory the IP address given to the device is then logged and is held for a period of time. So if you use your Eduroam WiFi connection to do something illegal like torrent a movie, it can be traced back to you even if you are accessing Eduroam as a guest at another institution.

In essence as long as the device is able to connect using WPA2 Enterprise then connecting it to Eduroam is fine. If it can't then it can't go on the network and you are sod out of luck. It's a bit silly because the ability to connect to WPA2 Enterprise is part of the OS that the Roku devices are based on and has been for years.

The use of pre shared keys that is handed out to everyone using the network is not remotely secure at the scale of a University, because there are just too many people who would have access to the one shared key that the likelyhood of it being leaked to third parties is basically one as a result. For example at the university that I work at there are over 21,000 students enrolled, and there are larger universities in the UK.

Legend 5
Legend 5

What makes you think Now is illegal?
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 wrote:
What makes you think Now is illegal?

I don't think that's what @Anonymous User meant @4268 . I think may was were why universities are set up the way they are. In essence they are set up that way to help prevent illegal activity and to improve overall security. 

Later on in their post @Anonymous User said

"as long as the device is able to connect using WPA2 Enterprise then connecting it to Eduroam is fine. If it can't then it can't go on the network and you are sod out of luck. It's a bit silly because the ability to connect to WPA2 Enterprise is part of the OS that the Roku devices are based on and has been for years".

Actually, the only devices in NowTV's portfolio that I know of that can definitely support WP2 enterprise are android devices and PCs . The current gen games consoles, possibly support it, but I'm not entirely sure. The problem is Roku kit is aimed at the consumer market. WPA2 enterprise is not typically something that used by consumers.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

To suggest I wrote that NowTV is illegal is a spectacular reading comprehension failure. I was making the point that as a pseudo internet service provider a University has to be able to track who is doing what on our networks in case they do something illegal, and this leads to the requirement of using WPA2-Enterprise on our WiFi networks. Consequently any device not capable of doing WPA2-Enterprise won't be allowed on the network.