cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Cabin Fever

Hi Forum Members

Cabin fever, Corona and the Internet are causing me to impulse buy, buying without any research, any real rhyme or reason, just a tingling in the back of (what passes for) my brain.

By the time this is all over I'm more than likely will be bankrupt, still jamming to some "feel good" sounds and so that makes it's OK, for now.

Rambling Bob

25 REPLIES 25
ukbobboy
Legend

@gavs82008 @Anonymous User @caseyb1993

Morning Guys

Gavs

See you're extremely busy doing good deeds for forum newbies and novices, as for myself this cabin fever is making buy crazy stuff (see below).

Robert

You've not been around later, guess you're on lockdown like most of us. But I bet you're not going as crazy as I am, I've decided to upgrade, change out and add some more kit to my music system, although not needed.

I've already bought a pair of speakers but one was DOA, you would've thought I'd take the hint but no, I've jumped right back in again.

Although not buying so much stuff that'll make me bankrupt but it may still hurt a few weeks down the line and, what's worse, I don't even know if what I am buying can be justified (it's a Cabin Fever Gamble).

Casey

Hi young lady, how are you?

Guess what I heard the other day, as told to me by my Tesco delivery guy.

First the scenario, you know that some people are going crazy and buying up everything in the supermarkets, and so creating artificial and unnecessary shortages.  Well, some of that over-buying is ending up in bins, i.e. an inordinate amount of food is just being thrown away.

I was told that a friend of his, a bin man, was shocked to find bins filled with unopened packages of food, I said the people responsible should be arrested, but in a free country there is no crime in throwing away food.

Off to get a drink, catch you guys later (if you're around)

UK (Rambling Cabin Fever) Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Hello! 

I am doing well thank you, hope to hear the same from you! 

I have seen that about all that wastage on Facebook and it made me so angry. 

To think people are struggling to buy food and inconsiderate people (I'm keeping it friendly 😂) are just throwing it away whilst maybe their next door neighbours or a lonely person down the road, are starving. 😠

When I hit Morrisons yesterday, the place was well stocked so there is just no need for that selfishness.

Although five security guards letting people in and out on the one open entrance was a bit excessive. All playing on their phones, ignoring us I should add. As soon as they thought 10 people left the store, "Oh ummm, next 5 people please!" 😠

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 

Hi Casey

Glad to hear you're OK, while I can't really complain, life goes on.

You know what bothers me is how things move into "unreality" (a kind of twilight zone) in such a short time when there is no need for it.  It kinda reminds me of January 1st 2000, in the preceding weeks when people (or prophets of doom (my sister-in-law)) started going around predicting food shortages, planes falling from the skies, computers crashing and all things controlled by computers would just stop and/or fail, so stock up on food

And guess what happened on 1st Jan, absolutely nothing.

And now 20 years later, the same nonsense has started all over again. 

I'm no history buff but, as far as I understand, there has not been a food shortage in the UK since the ending of the second world war.  So what do people do, create an artificial shortage, an unnecessary panic based on stupid rumours, such as 5G is spreading Covid 19, so you have vandals going around setting fires to 5G phone towers. (How on Earth can people be so stupid, do they actually think this pandemic is being beamed around the world Star Trek style?).

You know, the pandemic is real but, with human ingenuity, manageable. The shortages are "man-made" and because of human stupidity far more destructive than they should be. And it only goes to show, if this world ever comes to an end it will be because of human stupidity.

OK, putting all that doom and gloom aside, I gotta get back to my cabin fever purchases, for some reason some of the stuff that I buy are arriving with faults. For example, I bought a second set of speakers after one of the first set arrived DOA. Now, after testing the second set this morning, that set is also faulty, a different type of fault but faulty nonetheless.

What's worse, all the anticipated extras I've ordered for these speakers are on their way but the speakers are naff and have to be exchanged.

Anyway, gonna carry out some more musical tests tomorrow and hope the fault I found was just (what they call) "settling in", some unlikely hope?

Later.

UK (aka Rambling) Bob 

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Ah yes, the Y2K bug. Wow, I would have been 6 years old then! Doesn't time fly? 😂😂

Have you heard of the possible Year 2038 problem? 

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 

Hi Casey

Year 2038 problem?  Never heard of it.  What's it suppose to do?

I guess Earth is gonna get hit by an asteroid, or something similar.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I'm not the most tech savvy person so here is the article. 😂

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Only 18 years to go! 😂

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 

Well Casey

It's about how computers count, just as we human beings count in 10's.  

For example, the first computer I bought, the Commodore 64 was an 8-bit computer, very basic but a good starter.

The computer I'm using now, a PC, is a 32-bit computer, just like the Unix computers the article talks about.

The latest generation of computers are 64-bit computers, not as common but getting there.

Technology moves so fast that by 2038 I'm sure this 32-bit limitation, just like Y2K, will not be a limitation anymore, I guess that 128 or 256 bit computing will be old hat by then.

(In fact, today's super computers are 64-bit parallel computers.)

Not only that, I'm sure that some computer genius, or a group thereof, will develop another, more flexible, counting system to base our computers on.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Are you going to be watching the Harley Quinn animated series? It starts on the 7th May on E4. 😀

Also I have just noticed Birds of Prey is out on digital. I really enjoyed that in the cinema so may treat myself! 😍

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 

Hey Casey

Harley Quinn animated series, you know it young lady, I'm there. It's had good reviews from YouTuber "Beyond The Trailer" Grace Randolf  and I understand that HQ is now in it's second season in the US.  So yeah, I'm all in and eager.

Next, the film "Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn", or whatever their going to call it when it comes out on BluRay/DVD in mid-June (I heard WB is going to change it's name), I heard it didn't get good reviews but I'm still gonna get the DVD.

As for the other super hero shows and films, they've all been pushed back or cut short, like Flash and Supergirl, which will both end on episode 19 this year.

However, I'm also looking forward to the new Stargirl series as well, but I do not know if Sky/Now TV are going to pick it up, they've said nothing so far even though it's the kinda thing they normally go for.

Right now, gonna get a drink and start some music.

Later

UK Bob