Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Champion

Re: Old Hi-Fi System

@robert1997 @Tony-D @schnapps @caseyb1993

Hey Robert

Hope you are feeling better, especially in the run up to Christmas + I hope you have expanded you music collection and soon to reap the benefits by upgrading your hi-fi in the new year.

After my recent failure, with my new upgrade kit, I worked out where I went wrong, instead of sticking with kit I knew I went off-script and went for something new, i.e. new cables of unknown quality, and was punished for my hubris.

OK, so I went back to basics and re-bought a an extension cable I had bought before and, today, connected it up and now the veil has been lifted. I've now got even more bass, more mid-range and more vocal clarity, I can now here the lead musician count in the other members of the group before the song starts.

In other words, I managed to connect a second small sub-woofer to my system, a system that was originally designed not to accept or work with any extras or peripherals

As you can imagine, I have to now "tune" my system so that I am at ear-joyment level 

Ear-Enjoyment..jpg

but you can guess that I am well "chuffed" with what I have done and achieved.

OK, I am now at 97% - 98% of where I want to be so no more dragon chasing for me.

After all, I'm a simple soul with simple needs and good music satisfies one of those needs.

Merry Christmas and Peace to one and all.

Merry Christmas Emoji.jpg

UK Bob

@ukbobboyet al

Thankfully the health has improved a little this past few weeks although having a stomach bug in that time hasn't helped. Anyhow, mustn't grumble, or so I'm told, Smiley Very Happy as I have Christmas with the family to look forward to.

What I'm also looking forward to is getting back on the upgrade trail in the new year and getting back on the hunt of some good music Smiley Happy

I've a few concerts to look forward to in 2019 with my daughter, the big one for me being Madness in the summer Smiley Happy

I've been following your exploits and am pleased to hear you have solved the issue brought about by your more recent purchase. I myself have dabbled with unknown entities in the past with mixed results. It is true though that it is best sticking with brands you know and trust.

Hopefully in the new year I'll be back regaling you with my own successes (and quite possibly failures) as I seek musical nirvana Smiley Happy

To everyone reading this thread may I take the time to wish you all an early Merry Christmas and an even better 2019. Here's hoping Christmas can be all you wish it to be this year Heart

ukbobboy
Champion

@robert1997 @Tony-D @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi Guys

Hope you have all had a good Christmas and are looking forward to the new year.

As I'm grooving to one of my new albums, I just thought I'd check in with you guys and see how you are all doing, hope it's all great.

Father Christmas.png

Anyway, I'm always saying that I have to cut down on my monthly intake of digital albums. Well, I've managed to limit my consumption to only three albums this month, which is a nice little pat on the back for myself.  

Pat on the Back.gif

Still, on checking the release date of these albums, i.e. when the original vinyls were released, it comes in at 25, 30 and 41 years ago.

You know, I'm not sure if this says I'm too old to appreciate modern music or it's just that today's music just lacks that certain something that makes it enjoyable and want to listen to it more than once (or twice).

On that bit of controversy I shall now take my leave.

Later

UK (trying not to be controversial) Bob 

ukbobboy
Champion

Re: Old Hi-Fi System - The Return of Audio CDs

@robert1997

Hi Robert

Just to let you know, I found out something new the other day, a way to cast my audio CDs, via my external DVD/CD player, to my music system. 

I knew is was possible but I never took the time to look into it, until I bought an audio CD via Amazon UK (my fourth for December) that came with a free digital album download.  

To tell you the truth, I didn't much care for CDs but, I thought, since I like the music on this album so much that I'd give it a go.

So, a night of tinkering, including updating my go-to media playing software, getting advice from another forum and here I am, a few days later, digging into and playing my old collection of CDs.

Compact Disc.jpg

Funny that, I thought I was finished with CDs but now they're back.

Later.

UK Bob

Good morning and a belated welcome to 2019 @ukbobboy

Funny you should mention CDs. An older neighbour was telling me last night her new car doesn't have a cd player in it and she feels lost without her music. She says she just doesn't get all this new technology at all. I'm now in the process of copying many of her favourite discs onto a usb device and have promised her it won't be long until she's mastered this 'new', for her, method of listening to her music. I think she'll be blown away when she realises all her music will be available to her at the touch of a button, or two.

Like you have found, it's always nice to uncover new ways of enjoying our favourite tunes. 

Santa brought me some new (remastered) vinyl albums and it's been a pleasure to listen to some older music on an old format again Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Champion

@robert1997

And a happy new year to you good sir.

I can say, without hesitation, that I know how your neighbour feels. It seems that as soon as you get to grips with a new device it is then quickly superseded by something else. 

Anyway, the bottom line is that as long as you can enjoy your music, regardless of how it's consumed, then that's all that matters.

Glad to hear that you got some remastered vinyls for Christmas, which I must say I am a bit envious Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised

Spinning LP.gif

You see, the other day I caught myself looking (longingly) at a turntable playing LPs on YouTube HeartHeartHeart, sad but true. 

But, as I said before, my vinyl days are in the past Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated

Until next time, keep on keeping on.

UK Bob

PS. I say Madness on the TV the other day doing a concert, they were very good.

@ukbobboy

Going to see Madness AGAIN this year Smiley LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOTjHVEmZgU

ukbobboy
Champion

@robert1997 

Hi Robert

How are you getting on with copying your neighbours CDs onto USB thumb drives?

The reason I ask is because I remember a few years back CD making companies were experimenting with installing anti-copying software onto their CDs. I was just wondering if you've fell foul of this pre-installed nonsense.

You know, I even remember that at one time Sony authorised the installing of stealth malware onto their customers computers, someone in the company thought this was a good idea until their customers in the US took out a class action against them.

Anyway, at about 4.00am this morning I found a pile of about 20+ CDs I'd stuffed into a bag, chucked into a corner and promptly forgot about them.  I sorted through them, threw about six away and found five worth playing. Those five I am now going through, i.e. playing as I type this note.  And as you can imagine, they are gems from yesteryear.  Still, I may (or may not) go through the others I've found at a later date.

That's all for now, catch you later.

UK Bob

0 Thanks

Hey there @ukbobboy 

Good to know you're still around Smiley Happy

I'm pleased to say I've run into no issues transferring cd to usb (as yet at least). I've had to take a short break from my task as disaster has struck, and I do mean disaster, my trusty television bit the dust over the weekend Smiley Mad

Now, also being a bit of a videophile, I've spent the entire weekend researching my next tv. The computer and me have become fused as one, so much so that my better half has hinted at naming the computer in divorce proceedings Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Anyhow, off today to make my purchase, with the wife in tow to make sure I don't buy anything else while I'm out, as if I would Smiley Wink

I too have quite a few CDs hiding away which the missus has urged me to sell on as they don't get any playing time now. I'm contemplating attending one of those music fairs next time they are in town to see what I could get for a load of my old stuff, if I can be torn away from them off course Smiley Happy

My new tv awaits, until the next time, happy listening (and viewing) Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Champion

@robert1997 

Hi Robert

Just thought I'd do a little catch up with you, I take it you've got your new TV now and so I was wondering is it Smart or Standard (not connected to the Internet)? Plus, did you manage to get any new electronic extras (Smiley Happywithout the misses noticingSmiley Very Happy).

You know, way, way back in the dim and distant, I remember the time when my parents used to stack a bunch of 7" (@ 18cm) 45 rpm vinyl records on the record player. Well today, I find myself doing something very similar. I can pick and choose various tunes from different digital albums and EPs then stack and play them, just like stacked 45s back in the day. The main difference is, unlike my parents, I am not physically limited to the number of separate tunes I can put in a stack (like right now, I've got some 30 + tunes lined up in the stack I'm listening to).

It's just simply bliss.

Bliss.png

Stacked 45s 04.jpg

Funny how stuff like this comes full circle.

Until next time.

UK Bob

0 Thanks