Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good advice @ukbobboy

She enjoys the internet radio I bought so mightn't be too difficult to persuade her how much better her Elvis Presley vinyls could sound. Just as long as she doesn't make me listen to them too much Smiley LOL Lord, Elvis through 4 speakers, oh my head hurts just thinking about it Smiley LOL

I'm more of a lover of 80s vinyl music myself.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Yeah Robert

I agree with that sentiment, you see I too love vinyl from the 70's and 80's, however I may have one more suggestion for you, which could help in getting to grips with Elvis, preserve your hi-fi 's cartridge and stylus and speed up your misses acceptance of your system.

Start to re-buy remastered copies of some of your wife's Elvis Presley albums, boxsets, etc. and play them on your system.  This is an expensive option but it will pay dividends.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy Big thanks Smiley Happy

You may just have sorted out my other halfs birthday gift(s) for this year. She'll be delighted Smiley Happy

Great way to earn a few brownie points and get my system upgraded at the same time. Yippeee!

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Well Guys

I don't know if you would like this album or not but, as I am now listening to it for the first time, I think it's just great.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories.jpg

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@robert1997 @schnapps @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Hi again Guys

As a PS to the above, track 13 (the final track on the album) is all electronic noise, over 6 minutes worth (ugh). 

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

To be honest nowadays i tend to listen to my playlists on Spotify or Amazon Prime music rather than sitting down and listening to a full album Smiley Sad

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @schnapps @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Well Guys

I don't know if you would like this album or not but, as I am now listening to it for the first time, I think it's just great.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories.jpg

UK Bob

Amazing album 🙂 @ukbobboy Any other decent ones?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Had a wee listen earlier on Spotify @ukbobboy @schnapps @Tony-D

Something tells me it is more deserving of being listened to on vinyl. It just has that 'feel' to it Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Guys

Here are my replies:-

Schnapps

You said, "To be honest nowadays i tend to listen to my playlists on Spotify or Amazon Prime music....".

Yeah, I remember you saying that in an earlier post but if ever you are driving to the supermarket of just having a day out then playing the CD on your car system should be very pleasant, especially as Amazon UK are selling the CD at a knock down price.

Tony

You asked, "Amazing album...Any other decent ones?"

Well Tony, I'm old and so my musical taste will probably not often coincide with yours but if I buy another modern album I'll post it in this thread.

Last but not least, Robert

You said, "Something tells me it is more deserving of being listened to on vinyl. It just has that 'feel' to it."

You are 100% right, this album has had a special release aimed at vinyl/Hi-Fi users and if I still had my Hi-Fi system then I would definitely buy that special vinyl release.

Saying that, the digital release is still quite good but I don't get that 3D sound stage/imagery a good Hi-Fi system can give you, instead I get a very detailed but flat sound.

Anyway, as long as we enjoy our music then that's really all that matters.

UK Bob

PS. My favourite track on this album currently is "The Game of Love", which is track 2.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Guys

Here are my replies:-

Schnapps

You said, "To be honest nowadays i tend to listen to my playlists on Spotify or Amazon Prime music....".

Yeah, I remember you saying that in an earlier post but if ever you are driving to the supermarket of just having a day out then playing the CD on your car system should be very pleasant, especially as Amazon UK are selling the CD at a knock down price.

Tony

You asked, "Amazing album...Any other decent ones?"

Well Tony, I'm old and so my musical taste will probably not often coincide with yours but if I buy another modern album I'll post it in this thread.

Last but not least, Robert

You said, "Something tells me it is more deserving of being listened to on vinyl. It just has that 'feel' to it."

You are 100% right, this album has had a special release aimed at vinyl/Hi-Fi users and if I still had my Hi-Fi system then I would definitely buy that special vinyl release.

Saying that, the digital release is still quite good but I don't get that 3D sound stage/imagery a good Hi-Fi system can give you, instead I get a very detailed but flat sound.

Anyway, as long as we enjoy our music then that's really all that matters.

UK Bob

PS. My favourite track on this album currently is "The Game of Love", which is track 2.

What a detailed reply @ukbobboy 🙂 Thank you.

I'd have to say 'Lose Yourself To Dance' is my favourite track from the album.