cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, It's Another 5.1 Sound Issue

Is it possible to have a discussion about why Roku Premier (probably other versions too) and Now TV Smart Boxes will not send 5.1 sound when connected thus:

Roku/Now TV ---> HDMI ---> TV (LG 55EG910V) ---> TOSLINK ---> AV Receiver (Yamaha RX-V650)

I have no issues with Shield TV Pro, Sky Q and a LG DVD - All work quite happily and pass sound correctly. All work in all three available HDMI ports. All work with any one of 5 HDMI cables. However, the Roku Premier / Now TV Smart Box will not pass 5.1 sound via any of those possible connections. Stereo is as good as it gets.

Take something like Netflix or Disney+. They all pass 5.1 sound via relevant apps on the devices listed above, but not via the Roku Premier or Now TV Smart Box. The Now TV app itself will pass 5.1 sound via the onboard LG TV app, but not via the Roku Premier nor Now TV Smart Box.

I have scoured the Roku and Now TV forums and attempted to apply all of the suggested settings, but none appear to work.

The symptoms would appear to suggest a firmware issue with the Roku Premier/Now TV Smart Box?

5 REPLIES 5
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Peter

Have you tried Now TV Boost, read up on it here:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Bob

Apologies, I should have added that I am using the Boost Pass. Hence why I am now experimenting with 5.1 with Now TV.

So, 5.1 works fine via the Now TV App on my LG TV. It does not work in 5.1 via either the Roku Premier nor the Now TV Smart Box.

Nor do any of the other 5.1 capable apps on the Roku Premier/Now TV Smart Box deliver 5.1 sound (Netflix, Disney+, Prime).

So, it's the boxes themselves (the Roku Premier/Now TV Smart Box) that are the root cause of the issue.

Cheers

Peter

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User as your TV has 3 HDMI and you've listed 3 other devices you use, are you removing a device to use NowTV or are you using an HDMI switch?

I'm using a NowTV box (the older one made by Roku), connected to an LG TV with optical from the TV to a Yamaha amp and receive 5.1 without issue. It did take some fiddling but found that I needed to change a setting on the TV under HDMI Arc from PCM to auto.

While the attached link was in reply to a user who had a Samsung TV, I've given my full settings in the bottom comment.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Stick/NOW-TV-Boost-not-working-in-5-1/td-p/526706

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Saint1976 - Any device I am testing/using is directly attached to the one of the HDMI ports on the TV. I remove devices to facilitate testing. All that said, the Sky Q box is now permanently disconnected.

I have the newer Now TV Smart Box. My older one has been loaned/gifted. Possibly I could borrow it back for a few days of testing. I purchased a Roku Premier box as an alternate test device. Same result as the Now TV Smart Box, which of course isn't really a surprise since I believe that technically they are pretty near identical?

My setup, the Yamaha RX-V650, does not support Dolby Digital Plus, just good old Dolby Digital. I had quite a long online chat session with a helpful customer service assistant and once again went through all of the various configuration changes, without success. I have a specific case number which is I am assure now being investigated.

I am running a similar thread on the Roku community forums. The consistent feedback is that these Roku based boxes, which includes the Now TV boxes, do not support DD deliberately by design. Seemingly there has only ever been one Roku box that supported DD. All the others require/expect at least DD+. Aagin, allegedly, this is a deliberate design/licence costs decision on the part of Roku.

So, unless someone at LG (my TV) or Now TV convinces Roku to add DD support, I am probably stuck until I want to replace my AV.

It's a pain, but for now the Now TV app on my LG TV does deliver 5.1 DD sound. The app itself is a bit laggy, but otherwise functional. The Shield TV Pro delivers 5.1 DD for everything else (Netflix, Prime, Disney+). Sadly Now TV/Sky don't appear to have any plans for an Android TV compatible app. This is a shame since they must already have done the majority of the work with the native Android app(s). I have tried sideloading the Android app on the Shield TV Pro, but it's not compatible. Hey ho.

Thanks for your advice/tips. Appreciated.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I borrowed back my previous Now TV Box (4500SK). This has exactly the same issue with DD 5.1 sound as the Roku Premier and Now TV Smart Box.

Ho hum 😉